C trumpets

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Aspiring Trumpeter, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Aspiring Trumpeter

Aspiring Trumpeter New Friend

Oct 2, 2005
    Iowa
    Hey everybody,

I am a freshman in college this year attending Northeast Iowa Community College (which unfortunatly does not have a music program) and am transfering to a larger 4 year school next year. My current intentions are to be a trumpet performance major with an emphasis in orchestral and chamber type music. My private instructor and a couple other music instructors I have talked to have suggested I look into getting a C trumpet because it will help with my orchestral studies. I have tried several different brands and have liked one of Kanstuls' models the best so far, but I really want to try Eclipse and Monette before I make my final selection. I have heard very amazing things about both brands and been out to their sites and they both look great.
    The problem is it is not possible to make it out to either of their shops because of transportation and distance so I was wondering whether anyone had any information on how I might be able to play either brand of these horns without making the long trip from the very northeast corner of Iowa to Oregon, Texas or Massechusettes(however that's spelled)?
    I am located about 3.5 hours from Minneapolis and about 4 hours from Madison, to give some idea of my location. Any advice would be great!

Thanks alot,

Matt

2. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    If you are considering paying the amount of money involved in either an eclipse or Monette then wht is 400$ for a plane ticket?? I cannot speak for the eclipse US shops but the Monette shop was well worth the money for me.

3. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I agree 100% -- if you are willing to spend the money to buy a big name, then you need to spend the little extra to go try them out in person. There is only one problem, it's going to be pretty darn hard to find a place that has Eclipse and Monette trumpets that you can try and buy on the spot. I don't care what brand horn I buy, I want to play the exact horn I'm buying before I buy it.

With that said, I bought my Harrelson without playing it first. I trusted Jason that much, and being honest I would buy and Eclipse now prior to playing it if that was the only way I could get an Eclipse and that was my brand of choice. When I visited with Bruce Lee in Houston I will say that after playing several horns made by Eclipse there were favorites in my opinion. I'd still have a hard time buying another horn without being allowed to play it first.

Attached Files:

4. cmcdougall

cmcdougall Piano User

Feb 3, 2005
    You could always travel over to thompson music in Omaha Nebraska, it looks like he hasa very nice stable of Monette C's (used) in stock right now.

www.thompsonmusic.com

5. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    FWIW I might be in Wisconsin in November at the trumpetfest organized by David Cooper (also an Eclipse artist). If it gets up in time I'll let you know. In the meantime you could email Dave at http://www.davidcoopermusic.com and see if you could arrange a visit. Tell him I said hello!

Best,

Trent

6. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    Trent keep us updated on that event if you don't mind!!!

7. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Which part of Wis?

8. Aspiring Trumpeter

Aspiring Trumpeter New Friend

Oct 2, 2005
    Iowa
    I took a couple of lessons from Cooper in May and early June, before I went and marched my third season with the Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps. Unfortunately he was between Monette and Eclipse at that point. We were planning on meeting again when I got back but I've been trying to contact him for three weeks and can't seem to get a response. I can only assume he has a very full schedule right now and is just really busy.
    I did'nt know he was having another trumpet festival. Do you know if it's going to be down at UW-Platteville?

Matt

9. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The fest might not (actually it's looking like it probably isn't going to) happen... but let's keep our fingers crossed.

As soon as I know something, you'll know!

Best,

T

Edit 9/22 the fest is on for November 4th... at UWP (Platteville) stay tuned for a seperate post about it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  10. Jimi Michiel

Jimi Michiel Forte User

Mar 22, 2005
    Boston
    AT-

If you happen to be driving around Wisconsin, you might want to stop by the Edwards factory. I haven't been there in person, but I have heard great things about how they basically build you an instrument piece by piece, having you test out many combinations of leadpipes, bells, valve clusters, etc until you find the perfect combination. I've played a few of their instruments and have really liked them. I like what I've got, but if I didn't, I'd look more into Edwards.

-Jimi