C5 Always Sharp

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by $sonnyman999, Jun 12, 2015.

1. $sonnyman999

$sonnyman999 New Friend

Dec 11, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    I've been playing a trumpet for three and a half years now and I sound sharp on C5 even with the slide out an inch. It doesn't matter which instrument I play, my Bach 37 or my Bobby Shew Yamaha YTR 8310Z. I use a Bach C3 and a Bobby Shew Jazz mouthpiece. I know that my embouchure controls the sound. Am I blowing too hard?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    No, you are not blowing too hard, you have way too much tension when playing. There is no easy solution. Someone that knows better needs to personally look at your playing.

3. $sonnyman999

$sonnyman999 New Friend

Dec 11, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Great advice. thanks.

4. JohnjEnloe

JohnjEnloe New Friend

Jan 5, 2004
    Fuquay-Varina, NC
    One way to work on this would be to use the Bill Adam leadpipe blowing excerise. You pull the tuning slide out of your leadpipe and blow what would be an f on Bb trumpet (Eb concert pitch). You will have to adjust your chops and blow to get the correct note. Try this 10 to 12 times to help you to center in on blowing the instrument in the correct place/pitch. I have used this with a lot of success with my students in the past. But, having an experienced teacher look/hearing you is always a good idea. We have several people on this list that give skype leasons. I hope this helps. If you're in Columbus, there should be a trumpet player/teacher around almost every corner! Good luck.