Cabin Luggage Ban in Europe...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Solar Bell, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  2. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    Manny - how about this for a deal - if you ship your horn over to me now I will ensure that it is here waiting for you when you arrive - I promise;-)

Tell you what, better idea - ship me one straight from Dave and then you will always have a horn over here ready for any UK tours you might be doing in the future:thumbsup:

3. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    :thumbdown: This just blows. Seriously. I understand why they have to do such things, but it still is beyond frustrating. Has anyone seen demonstrations on the news of what a small amouth of "gel" it would take to blow up half a car (or damage the cabin of a plane)? It fits in the palm of your hand. I guess that is why we can't even bring books on board. This small amouth of gel can be stored practically anywhere and in any manner. If this is the case though, it is only a matter of time before they are successful. I just don't see how the airlines will bounce back from this. I have seriously considered cancelling my Toronto trip because of the hassle. I will not cancel my UK trip, but don't think it isn't already stressing me out knowing what the vibe is going to be.

4. bandman

bandman Forte User

Oct 16, 2004
    Lafayette, LA, USA
    I hate the time on the plane so I bring my laptop and stay busy from take off to landing. I guess there will be no more laptops on board planes. I will say this – I fly several times per year and I will applaud any effort to make our flights safer, even if it means not bringing certain items on a plane, especially on board inside the cabin.

5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Forte User

Oct 11, 2004
    Farnham (a place too smal
    There are no certainties how long the current situation will last. There was a news report here saying that tis is likely to just be a temporary measure and that things may return to closer to normal in the future.
    We can but hope.

The days of simple travel with instruments may be behind us, it will be a great shame if this is so.

6. djm6701

djm6701 Pianissimo User

Alex, the restrictions from the UK and within North America are different. I believe that only liquids are banned within NA - you can still bring carry on luggage.

7. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you DJM. My letter (email) from Delta said to bring "little or no" carry on baggage. There is a lot of room for interpretation there. I am bringing a double case with 2 trumpets in it, a tube of Chopsaver and a book. I just don't want to show up and have them hassle me about it. I don't have the Pelican yet, so bringing the horns on board for Toronto is my only choice. The case I have been using for years under the plane has the zippers blown out on it and must be repaired. Plus, it has been used very heavily for the past decade and probably should be retired. It is pretty darn beat up. LOL.

8. BudBix

BudBix Pianissimo User

Sep 25, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    After watching CNN today I don't think the chopsaver will make it through security. :-(

9. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Having just returned from Europe (at 3:30 am this morning) I can categorically state that cabin baggage is NOT banned in Europe. It IS banned between UK and USA. I brought onboard my usual backpack as did my daughter. My wife had her "hand carry" bag with her while my son decided to "go light" (mp3 player in his pocket). We had no problems at all (but DID put our toiletry cases c/w toothpaste etc. in our check bags). The biggest problem at the moment is the delay on European flights as planes are held up in UK etc.

Alex... things will undoubtedly change by the time you are ready to go. Pack light, be prepared to possibly have to purchase "liquids and creams" upon arrival. Take stuff that you don't NEED to bring home (ie.. toss in the garbage once it has outlived it's usefullness). It just might be wise to think of routing yourself through Amsterdam rather than direct UK/USA.

Folks... remember..... "Europe" does NOT equal "UK".

Edit: to clarify.. our flight was Munich direct, non-stop to Calgary... 10 hours in the air and 7 hours late arriving home plus another hour to get baggage off the plane. They are double-checking bags both coming and going. If you have nothing to fear... then you have nothing to fear.

10. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Glad to see you made it back safe and sound Toots! Welcome back and thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately for me, what would usually be a benefit will probably work against me in this case. My flight to the UK is DIRECT from Atlanta. I usually fly direct when I can. There were plenty of routes with connecting flights in Amsterdam, Frankfurt and Paris, but nooooooooo, I took the direct to Gatwick. :bash: It is not until the end of the month, so I have a little time to chill and prepare. I hope the airport isn't a zoo on Monday when I head to Toronto. It is a zoo under normal circumstances, so I assume things will be at least the same if not worse.

Taking many deep breaths.........