Cabin Luggage Ban in Europe...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Solar Bell, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Well, at least your flight will be a lot shorter than mine! (10 hours non-stop on the return). I believe that they are saying you CAN take carryon ex USA but no liquids or gels. It is the return home from UK that will leave you "high and dry" with NO electronics, NO gels, NO liquids, NO purse, nothing that can't fit your pockets or a clear plastic baggy. (might as well leave the spare batteries at home too!). (We were prepared to have to repack at the airport but it didn't happen. I even had the memory chip removed from my camera and safe in my pocket.) I recommend a rum n coke... make that a double! As you say, there may undoubtedly be some changes in the procedures by the time you are ready to return so remember, we're all in this together... I'm pullin' for ya!

My original comments were more to point out that there is a significant difference between the UK and what we North Americans generally perceive as being "Europe" (for one thing you gotta check the opposite way before crossing a street!).... (for another you can get cold beer in Europe).

What REALLY sucks big-time right now is the ban on even BOOKS and other reading material for flights departing UK! These security people have known for some time that liquids can be explosive and that books can be hollowed out (like, someone is going to put a derringer inside a Bible?... or Quoran?). So why the freak-out now? It isn't analytically logical to wait until someone is ready to spring a surprise to suddenly put the clamps on... why not put the clamps on earlier BEFORE there is any planning? I suspect the answer is that there are maybe more than a few more dingbats that they DIDN'T CATCH yet and that they are scared "shiteless" about "the great unknown" at this point. Maybe next it'll be "clothing restricted" as well? (shades of Cannes, Batman... that IS a scary thought... thank goodness most European women (that I saw anyway) are in a hell of a lot better physical condition than their North American equivalents! (a separate topic I am thinking of posting on in a day or so). In the meantime, airline movies definitely rate as "cruel and unusual punishment"... even if it WAS Antonio Banderas in a dance movie titled "Take the Lead"!

Oh well, solace in that the delay caused them to give us each 15 Euro airport credit for meals and the airline also tossed out free drinks once we were in the air.... hence the double rum n coke! :D (Gotta find a silver lining somewhere, eh?)

2. camelbrass

camelbrass Mezzo Forte User

Nov 5, 2003
    Dubai, UAE
    Hi,

Toots, glad you eventually got back OK. I know what you're going through Alex. I'm flying into Heathrow Thursday and back out again on the 27th and at the moment I'm probably going to pack my Yamaha double and backpack with mutes in my hard shell luggage case with my clothes. I HATE doing it but other than having an Anvil case on tap I don't have a lot of option.

I'll let you know how it all goes.

Regards,

Trevor

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This shows that the terrorists really do not understand how the free world works. By targeting time periods where only the civilian population is affected (summer vacation), they only increase our tolerance to let the "hawks" go after them.
    This does show however, how it is easy to get a grip on a country like Iran or Syria and keep tyranny in place. Many people do not realize how hard it is to defend Democracy, how few alternatives there are to bloodshed when a few charismatic, power hungry idiots dig in for the long haul. What annoys me even more is when the political parties compare their "competition" to the enemy. I think the republicans and democrats both need to cool it a bit. The enemy is not the other party(although the analysts would probably disagree).
    Need to stop here - have a trumpet/organ concert tonight.

Robin

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Alex (and anyone else interested), here's the latest on flights in and out of Canada. http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/airportsecurity/ .

One thing that has the potential to be a big problem is when the electronics are banned... CNN International was the one English-language program we could get in Germany and they made quite a point of saying that for UK-sourced flights, the electronic key fob (to lock, unlock, control the alarm/remote starter on your car) can NOT be carried onboard but must be in checked baggage...put your car key in your pocket. Pray tell, what happens when they manage to lose your checked baggage? Anybody ever taken the time to price up a factory replacement key fob lately? I believe the ones for Toyota run to about $600 each!

On the plus side, I rather suspect that the incidences of lost or mis-directed baggage will be reduced (through the extra care taken to ensure that things get properly screened in the back rooms of airports' baggage-handling zones).

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Without electronics, the airlines will go broke. They still make their money with the business community. What manager will check his notebook with sensitive office information............ Almost like our trumpets....
    Robin

6. 6pk

6pk New Friend

Mar 9, 2006
    Hong Kong
    I travelled with all my trumpets today from Heathrow to HK, and EVERYTHING, except my wallet and wife had to go in in the hold. I put the trumpets in a Wes Warren Brass Bag inside a well padded suitcase in the fragile hold and all was fine, and trumpets came out perfect. It was actually quite good as we were off the plane in no time as no none was mincing around with bags.

7. connloyalist

connloyalist Pianissimo User

May 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    I have a flight (vacation) from Amsterdam to Detroit on September 4th and I have been pretty worried about it. Its only a vacation and I could cancel, but I have really been looking forward to going "home" and spending three weeks with (half of) my family, something I only get to do once a year.

My problem is I need to bring some liquid medication, and I really don't want to put it in my luggage in the hold because these things do occasionally end somewhere I am not. It has never happened to me yet and I have done quite a bit of international flying, but ..... (knock on wood).

I asked the travel agent Saturday what the current rules are out of AMsterdam to the U.S. No word. If you can't even bring a book... it is a minor point compared to the medication, but still, it's an 8 1/2 hour flight.

Regards, Christine

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I don't believe that books are banned on Continent-based flights, Christine. You should be OK with the meds as along as they are properly labelled and you have a note from the doctor (which requirement may or may not be met by having a copy of the prescription with you). It's ex UK that the real problems begin.

Oh... and the airlines don't necessarily know what the rules will be since the rules are set by the airline authority (which means that the airport seems to have some ability to "interpret" the rules) and "passed down" to the individual airlines and security screening companies.

I checked with my airline the morning of the day we departed Munich and they told me one thing... reality was another. We took onboard our regular onboard hand-luggage (minus our toiletry kits) but including 1/2 bottle of water that the screener said "OK... go ahead", two digital cameras and one film camera, three mp3 players, books, clothing, chocolate bars. I'd say just pack so that if necessary you can make last-minute changes at check-in.

(Now, why would anyone want to go to Detroit!? Chuck?)

9. Alex Yates

Alex Yates Forte User

Aug 11, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    Christine, I think you will be alright with a small carry-on (zonder liquids) as long as you are not flying into the UK specifically. They have also said specifically that liquid medication up to 4 oz is acceptable. On the otherhand, I think most trumpet cases are going to be turned away and put under regardless, so be prepared in that department. The letter I received from Delta specifically mentioned the UK as having more strict regulations. I am going to the UK at the end of the month and while I might be allowed a small carry-on going, I am still facing a ten hour return flight without so much as a book. Grrrrrrr.......Good luck and I hope this info helps a little.

And for anyone worrying about domestic travel, reports from friends say they are allowing LIP BALM (woooo hooooo) and laptops. One just flew into Logan from Atlanta without a problem.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2006
  10. connloyalist

connloyalist Pianissimo User

May 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    Well, fortunately it is just a vacation so I won't be bringing my trumpet. I do hope the 4 oz. allowed rule is indeed correct (4 oz. being 118 ml, I need to bring 100 ml). I also have a feeling the rules are still pretty "fluid" (sorry, corny) at the moment, so I will just have to see how things are in September. At the moment I think nobody around here really knows what rules are being applied at any one moment at Schiphol airport.

Alex, I do hope your trip to England goes well. I would hate to have to put my trumpet in the hold, with the way luggage is often handled.

Why Detroit? Well, I don't know anybody in Detroit and am not actually going to Detroit itself. But the international airport in Romulus called Detroit Metropolitan is the most convenient to my family near Ann Arbor. ;)

Regards, Christine