Cabin Luggage Ban in Europe...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Solar Bell, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Christine,

If you would like to try the Eclipse Solar Bell, give me a shout when you get to the Detroit area!

Christine, I also believe that RX liquids can be brought on the plane, if it is an RX bottle with your name on it

Tootsall!

There are many many reasons, other than me, for visiting Detroit!

And as soon as I can think of one, I will post it.

2. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    A week ago today I was due to fly out of London gatwick bound for Nice to play a date with Dame Shirley Bassey at the Sporting Club Monaco. By chance I tuned in to BBC News24 at around 6:00 am where the only story was the new luggage restrictions and impending chaos at UK airports. I had to quickly rethink my packing and ditched my laptop, midi-keyboard and ipod and put my trumpet into a Torpedo Bag.

I set off a couple of hours earlier than planned, which was just as well. When I arrived at the airport at around 9:30am it took me about one hour to fight my way through the crowds from the front door to the check-in desk. All flights upto midday had already been cancelled and chaos was in full swing.

Once we all met up - there were 20 of us travelling together - we made camp upstairs in the bar - no surprise there! The woodwind players set about buying hard shell suitcases to put their doubles and trebles in - the lead violinist was just having kittens about his £40,000 instrument, as you can imagine. At around 3:00pm it ws finally confirmed that our flight had also been cancelled.

Step in the promoters who then arranged a fleet of taxis to take us to Biggin Hill - an ex-world war II air field about 15 miles away. They had chartered a 22 seat executive jet, which flew form Vienna to pick us up and fly us to Nice, at a cost of around £18,000! Even at this quiet private airport the new restrictions were in force - so I was very glad of the Torpedo Bag - the horn arrived in perfect condition. It felt strange to have been whisked away from all that mayhem and misery at Gatwick - so many peoples plans in ruins - but how much worse things might have been if the security forces had not been so alert!

The rest of the trip was excellent - the Starlight Cabaret room at the Sporting Club is one of the most glitteringly beautiful venues in the world and we were put up at a brand new 6 star hotel in the grounds. The only downside was that having been up travelling for 17 hours we started a 2 1/2 hour rehearsal at 11:00pm that night!

It was a significant gig for me because exactly 20 years ago I made the same journey the week after I left college to start my professional career with a 10 week summer season at the Sporting Club.

Alex - don't worry about your journey in a couple of weeks - everything will go smoothly and when you get here you will have a great time, I'll see that you do.

All the best. Noel.

3. 40cal

40cal Forte User

Dec 13, 2005
    Minnesota
    Noel's post makes me want to hang up the Gat and go play trumpet.....private jet???? Monaco????

YOU ROCK NOEL!

[​IMG]

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Gotta love it.... Monaco. Sheesh.

So you use Torpedo bag too, Noel? I thought you were getting a Wiseman... or was that just for multiple horns?

Question: Wouldn't it have been almost as fast and a lot less hassle to take the high speed train to Paris and on to the south? Or was everyone else having the same idea?

5. lonelyangel

lonelyangel Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2003
    London
    I do use a Wiseman - but its a triple case and I only needed trumpet on this gig. Plus I can use a padlock on the zip of the Torpedo Bag - can't think of a way to lock the Wiseman case. I had just borrowed the Torpedo by chance because I had been intending to take my laptop and other delicate equipment in my cabin bag.

Yes it would have been cheaper to get us on to Eurostar and then a TGV to Nice but everybody else had the same idea and that journey takes around 8 hours rather than an hour and a half by plane.

40cal, its not all glamour - we still had to use the back door and make our way to the stage through the kitchens!

All the best. Noel.