Cadences

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by _TrumpeT_, Feb 8, 2007.

1. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    Can anyone give me examples of various cadences from concerti, symphonies, etc?

2. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Without trying to be overly pedantic, do you mean Cadenza? A cadence is a harmonic progression that leads to resolution, a cadenza is an interruption in said progression so the soloist can stroke their ego for a minute before the phrase actually resolves. (That was said only slightly tongue and cheek...I'm playing the Haydn in a few weeks).

That being said, if it's cadenzas you want, they are not usually found in symphonies, just concerti (thought not always). Some cadenzas for the Haydn are floating around somewhere, Maurice Andre's and Wynton Marsalis's versions are online. Jay Lichtmann also has a cadenza on his website.

If you actually want to talk about cadences, the easiest answer is the most common finishing cadence is the V-I progression, often with the V chord having the seventh added. The next most common is probabaly VII-I, again with a seventh on the leading tone (VII) chord. There are many more, and may perumtations of the above.

Stuart

3. _TrumpeT_

_TrumpeT_ Piano User

Apr 26, 2006
    I was actually talking about cadences... I was wondering whether people could come up with examples of perfect, plagal (well I know I can just listen to hymns for this one), deceptive, interrupted with the appropriate measures I could refer to and a little bit of explanation.

4. tpetplyr

tpetplyr Pianissimo User

Dec 15, 2003
    Boston
    Oohhh, you were talking about cadences. Very cool. Well, I can only help so much, because I'm only sort of studying it myself (misplaced music major, I'm at Georgia Tech). Most of Mozart ends with Perfect Authentic....V-I. Deceptive cadences abound in the later romatic (though I'm sure you can find them in earlier music as well). There are some short excerpted examples in my theory book, but no real pieces. If you have anything specific I may be able to help, but I'm afriad I'm not very good for pulling specific examples out of the symphonic literature, sorry. I would imagine though, that if you grab a score and listen to a piece you could find most of 'em. Something I plan to do as soon as I'm done with all these dumb classes:)

Stuart