Calicchio 3/9 Ultra?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Larry Smithee, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Larry Smithee

Larry Smithee New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    Tennessee
    Hi Larry,
    Love your Calicchio discussions.

I have a question about one of the Ultra horn models, the 3/9. I've heard that there is a 3/9 model but also a model called an Ultra 3/9. Are there two different models with the 3/9 designation? And if so, what might be the differences between them? Thanks for your response in advance.
    screech

2. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Larry,

The designation of a “ 3/9 “ just tells you that the Calicchio trumpet has a # 3 bell ( largest flair ) and a #9 leadpipe ( open pipe ). Since 1972 , a 3/9 large bore model was, at times , called the “ Freddie Hubbard “ model because since that time, Freddie played a Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet.

More recently Eric Miyashiro was playing a 3/9 combination when he was playing lead trumpet for Woody Herman and Buddy Rich in the mid-80’s and one of the trumpet players in the Miami Sound Machine uses a 3/9 Calicchio.

Calicchio trumpets basically have 3 models that they make in a production sense. (Condensed version description)

A lite weight model – this trumpet has a lite weight bell, minimal bracing i.e.: one brace to bell off valve section, one brace to leadpipe off valve section , no brace at tuning slide - and a reversed tuning slide.

A classic model – this style trumpet has a regular weight bell, normal Calicchio bracing ie: 2 braces from the valve section to the bell side , 1 brace to the leadpipe side , 2 braces in tuning slide area – and a regular style tuning slide.

An Ultra model _ this trumpet has a heavy weight receiver , heavy wall leadpipe , 2 braces to bell off of valve section, 2 braces from the leadpipe to the valve section , regular leadpipe and bracing configuration, plus a heavy gauge bell ( .025 thickness ), plus heavy bottom caps

Now, mind you , you can have different bell alloys ( red Brass , Bronze alloy , Gold brass , Sterling Silver ) different bell thickness ( lite, regular and ultra ) in these alloys, plus with any combination of bells and leadpipes and any bore size ( med, med large and large )and still have a 3/9 Calicchio trumpet.

Usually a 3/9 without any other designation is a classic model, med. large bore trumpet.

I have a Calicchio 3/9 LB made in 1973, that seems to have a very light bell even thou is doesn’t have an “L†marking and if plays beautifully. Big, open and gorgeous sound in any part of its range.

Here’s a description of a 3/9 off the new website (first draft) that will be coming soon.

3/9 LB

The once custom-only model is now back as a standard offer. Due to the high demand for this trumpet, Calicchio is now offering it with a large #3 bell, suited for that large, lovely, full sound and open air stream, thanks to the #9 leadpipe. This is a favorite among small band players or soloists, but it has been known to show up in big band trumpet sections in the hands of the lead player on down. This was called the Freddie Hubbard model, but offers the player much more than a famous name can describe.

ULTRA – 3/9

The Ultra line is a unique design different from any other Calicchio we offer in a standard model. First, it has a standard 1†longer mouthpiece receiver that extends farther over our free blowing #9 leadpipe, giving the sound a certain intensity and stability. Heavy bottom caps help the density of the core. Two braces from the valve casing both to the bell side and leadpipe side give you a very fast, quick response and stable feeling to your attacks. A thicker bell material, still using that magical Calicchio-designed #3 bell, helps produce a big, broad, sonorous, dense core to your sound.

Hope this helps,

LG

3. Larry Smithee

Larry Smithee New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    Tennessee
    Thanks, LG. That removes much of the mystery about these models.
    Larry

4. Larry Smithee

Larry Smithee New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    Tennessee
    LG,
    I was just going to mention that Mike Johns (I think you might know John) in Broken Arrow is helping me get a Calicchio 3/9, although I'm not certain which classification it would be from your list of options. I'm pretty sure it's not the Ultra, however.
    Larry

5. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Hello,

Best I know, the trumpet player with the Miami Sound Machine does play the 3/9 ... however a .460 bore ... Larry ... The "Freddie Hubbard" ... wasn't that a .468 bore?

6. Larry Smithee

Larry Smithee New Friend

Dec 2, 2003
    Tennessee
    Yes, you're correct. My understanding is that Freddie's horn was a large bore model 3/9.
    Larry

7. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hello,

Just for the record,

The name of the trumpet player in the " Miami Sound Machine " horn section, using a Calicchio 3/9 large bore is Doug Michels. He uses a Bobby Shew Yamaha ( lead ) mouthpiece with it.

Larry