Calicchio and Kanstul

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bourbon City, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I have developed another itch that I will scratch after the new year. I am considering either the Calicchio 1s/2 or the Kanstul 1502. I am located where there are no Calicchio dealer. There is a Kanstul dealer in Louisville. I have played neither horn. I will base my decision on what I have read and your feedback. I am leading towards the Calicchio, but I am also a long time Kanstul fan, playing both the 1500 and 1600 horns. I think either of the horns I want will compliment the ones I have. What do you think?

Should I go to Tulsa? Is there a stocking dealer in Tulsa (or anyplace) that is recommended?

Your input is appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    John Duda is making incredible horns right now. No comparison to the ones coming out of Hollyweird the past few years. Duda is very meticulous and consistant. The Kanstuls are good too. Tough decision to make, but I decided to have John send me a new 1s/3/m (The Trigg model). I have played a WB-1600, but it did not work for me.

M.

3. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    Personally, I would get the Calicchio..But, I am partial to Calicchio trumpets...WW & BW are Calicchio dealers...Or call Dave @ Calicchio

I have not tried the Kanstul COPY of the 1s/2

I can't say enough good things about Calicchios!

Scott Wiltfang
    [email protected]
    |\_____ --- _____
    |/ (__=||||=__) Tulsa 1s/2

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I had a Calicchio 1/s2 in my store used for awhile. Made in LA, not Tulsa. It was a trade in for a Kanstul. I played it, and Dale, as you know I am a first class trumpeter (ha! ... for those of you who do not know, I play trombone primarily).

The Calicchios are first class horns all the way. The one I had here was pretty bright and could really cut through. A recording/lead type horn all the way. I had some real trumpet players play it at band. Man, that horn had some real sizzle.

The Kanstul has about the same specs, but I don't think it is quite as bright. Now in all fairness, I have not played a Tulsa made Calicchio. WWBW will let you try one (you buy it and have 45 days to return it) which will only cost you shipping if you don't like. Cheaper than a road trip.

Looking at the prices, the Kanstul will be less money for a similar (but not the same) horn. If you can try one at the Kanstul dealer in Louisville and try one from WWBW, you would be able to compare them.

JIm

5. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Calicchio all the way! The new Tulsa Calicchios are great! I play Calicchio and cannot see playing ANY other trumpet right now. Thats is how much I love my R32. Similar to the 1s/2 with the big #3 red brass Bell (5 1/4" flair) and satin lacquer.
    The 1s/2 will have more top end sizzle but I can get some decent 'squeaks' out of my horn! I recommend the Calicchio all the way. Ultimately, you will have the last choice to be made.
    Plus John and Dave @ Calicchio will help in anyway they can. Dave or John will talk to you. It's good to know that you can talk to the guy who is actually going to be making your horn. Dave is an expert at helping you to find what you need as well....He is also an excellent trumpet player himself!

6. BrassClass

BrassClass New Friend

Apr 2, 2004
    I could never find one to try. I contacted Tulsa Band, WWBW and several other places and none were in stock. I even contacted Calicchio to have them tell me some of the dealers they had last shipped horns to. All were either already sold or shipped abroad. Good luck finding some to play.

7. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    That says something positive, doesn't it?

Most Kanstul dealers order horns. Ship time is 4 to 6 weeks. They stock several ... but probably will not stock all the models (even the big stores).

I guess you could go to Tulsa and then Anaheim. :shock: I guess ITG and other conferences of that type are great places to try lots of horns (although maybe not for an extended period of time).

You wouldn't have to stand in line to try a Strad :D What does that say?

Jim

8. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    Though as it stands, you'd be better off doing Tulsa and Anaheim, due to someone being brilliant and sticking ITG in Bangkok this year :?

9. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Thank you for your input. I just wish I could get a 1S/2 now; I'm thinking about getting a six month signature loan to get one now because, my WWBW Catalog for this Winter has this horn at 1775 dollars, or there about. The WWBW web site has the same horn at 1995 dollars, or there about. What's going on with instrument prices?

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    That might reflect the ability to get them. No reason to give big discounts if they are hard to get. Of course WWBW has been know to drop items they cannot sell in volume. If the Calicchios become hard to get, that might be a bad thing for WWBW (but good for the individual smaller stores).

Jim