Calicchio and Lawler

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bourbon City, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    OK I am in need of some quick advice. I am now comparing the Calicchio 1s2 with the Lawler TL5-1A. I am wanting a solid Lead Trumpet. How do the two horns I'm looking at compare? Both horns seem to have stong merit. In your opinion is the TL5 as bright as the 1s2? In your opinion is the 1s2 as articulate as the TL5? Any help will help (I hope). I play in a 20 piece jazz orchestra that does mostly big band music from the 40's and early 50's.

Since I am unable to play either horn before ordering, please help me to decide. The holidays are among us and there will be a lot of downtime with vacations and parties. I am wanting to get my horn on order soon.

Thanks for your advice.

2. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Though I've never played the Lawler, I have played several Calicchios. Personally, they're some of the better lead horns I've played. The one I liked the most was the 1sZ/3rl. Give the guys at the factory a call, they were very helpful, and said you could go to the factory and they'll work with you to find the right horn for you. Hope this helps,

3. Bebop2

Bebop2 New Friend

Jan 9, 2004
    HORNS

I have played both the Calicchio 1S2 and the Lawler TL5. I have never done an A/B comparsion. I find the Calicchio slots better and has a more solid core than the Lawler. I haven't played the Tulsa 1S2 but I would think it would play even better than the Hollywood Calicchio's.
    Jim

4. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    I haven't played a Lawler..But, I do play Calicchio trumpets...The Tulsa 1s/2 is great!!

Scott Wiltfang
    [email protected]
    |\_____ --- _____
    |/ (__=||||=__) Tulsa 1s/2

5. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Dale,

What intrigues you about the Lawler?

This from the Lawler website:

Changes to the TL5 where made in 2004. I opened the bell taper a little to aid in the upper register. This will allow for a more open feel as you go up. The TL5R (red brass) will also have the more open feel but the red brass bell will allow you to push the dynamic a little further before the highs kick in. Both Lawler TL5's are full bright sounding trumpets with strong highs and mids in the sound. The very fast response is evident as in all Lawler TL models. The 1A leadpipe will give you a very centered feel with good slurs. The number 5 bell rim is a full 5 inches. The TL5 is available in .460 and .464 bores. 

Now I have never played one -- not like you could run down to the store a get your hands on one. They sound like well made, customized horns built from a Bach design.

On the other hand, I have ad a Calicchio in my store. It was definitely a lead type horn (a 1s2).

I guess one of the things that intrigues me about Lawler is that 730 horns have been made in 20 years. Wow, now that is hand made! I guess you could travel to Florida and then to Tulsa. Only 730. You would be one of the few who owns one. The prices seem about the same. You will find a lot more opinions about the Calicchio because there are more out there.

I guess I would like to hear what made you consider Lawler in the first place.

Jim

6. Bourbon City

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Jim

I was looking for horns similiar in performance to the 1s/2. I had discounted those under consideration and was ready to order the Calicchio when I read about the Lawler TL5. The section you copied from Lawler's web site plus other sections got my attention. I like the way he does his braces, cleans his joints and his overall attention to details. Now does the full bright sound (as described by someone's personal oppinion) equal or surpass the 1s/2 with all parameters being equal? I don't know. I have no way to find out. I have not played or heard live either horn.

I think I will be happy with either horn but with the Lawler I will have a unique status among trumpet players. Not many now play or will play a Lawler.

Of course, they don't make that many 1s/2s a year. It just happens they have made them for many years. I will have a unique status among trumpet players with the Calicchio too.

Oh, the dilemma I'm in.

7. nowherenearadouble

nowherenearadouble Pianissimo User

Nov 12, 2003
    Scotland
    The TL5 and 1S2 are too different in my opinion. My TL5 has a red brass bell so its not a true comparison.
    The TL7 is more of a 1S2 type horn, and beats it hands down for me.
    I have owned a 1S2 for a few years and loved it, got a TL7 and sold the Calicchio.
    There is not a bad one, only personal preference.
    Alan

8. Mikester

Mikester New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    MI
    I have owned 5 Lawlers; including a 2004 TL5-1a in raw brass. Brought it to ITG 2004 and left liking the Calicchio 1sZ/3RL on display. Since then, for a period of time I owned both the TL5 and a 2003 Tulsa made 1sZ/3RL from "Calicchioman".

The Lawler had more core to the sound. Great Getzen valves. But I sold it and kept the Calicchio. The Lawler comes alive around F above high C. 1sZ does it before reaching that high. Also, Calicchio valves are extremely fast.

Sold my Lalwer last month. Calicchio is still here and our big band likes the sound. Loves the sound of any Lawler in the extreme register!

Since I am continually on the hunt for another horn, would part with the Calicchio. Send me a message if you are interested.

Mike
    www.bigbandofpraise.com

9. Bourbon City

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Fellow TMers,

I have decided to hold off on my purchase until I can make up my mind. With Christmas presents to buy I will use my extra money to buy extra presents for my family. I now play to use my federal tax refund to purchace a lead trumpet. So hopefully I'll do something in March. My decision still stands between the Calicchio and the Lawler. I do appreciate the feed back you have given me.