Calicchio Artist model mouthpieces

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by Mikey, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003

Last edited: May 17, 2007
  2. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Calicchio Mpc's

Mike,

A very good friend of mine went to the NAMM show today. Yes there is a new line of Calicchio Signature Line of Mpc's out now. I haven't checked the Calicchio website yet, but they're gonna be availible soon.

You can add Scooter, Dennis Noday, Doug Michels (trpt with Gloria Estefan) and Lynn Nicholson to the list.

3. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Calicchio Mpc's

Show report
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I had a friend at the show and he sent me a scan of the brouchure. Here’s the models that are listed in the line so far. All have been new developed , it says , for the artist

Wayne Bergeron

Lin Biviano

Jason Carder

Bob Coassin

Tom Deliebero

Charley Davis I

Charley Davis II

Scott Englebright

Kenny Faulk

Chuck Findley I

Chuck Findley II

Lynn Nicholson ( the piece he played on MF’s Band )

Dennis Noday ( pretty close to the lead piece he played on Kenton and MF bands , not his current one he uses )

Tom Porrello

Steve Reid

F. Szabo

Tony Scodwell ( Tony wanted some last minute tweaking, his new model was at the show. Tony doesn’t play a Reeves. He plays a brand that’s a 2 piece model with a screw backbore

Snooky Young

J. Thomas

D. Thomas

Earl Gardner

Greg Gisbert

Grant I

Grant II

John Harner

Carl Saunders I

Carl Saunders II

W. Johnson

Tony Kadleck

Doug Michels

Joe Mosello I

Joe Mosello II

Lee Thornburg

Dave Trigg

Mike Williams

Plus a few more still in the works that the proto-types havn’t been fully developed.

I was told the Cat Anderson one was just “ novely piece “ for the show to show what kind of piece Cat played. Won’t be available to the public.

My buddy said that when he was at the booth, Chuck Findley, Bobby Findley, Charley Davis, Mic Gillette ( sounded like he was old friends with Larry G ) Jay Daversa, Pete Candoli and Roger Ingram were hanging at the booth. My buddy also just took 2 steps back and just took it in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

The above is a post on the Maynard Ferguson Tribute Page Forum ...

There we have it ... The list of signature mpc's that are supose to be availble soon.

4. crazyhorns

crazyhorns New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    NJ/Philly
  5. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    My head is spinning :stars:

just thinking about having to add all those mouthpieces to my chart. Oh my ... :shock:

Jim

6. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Don't worry Jim.... If you go to Rick's site...link posted above he has most of them with all of their specs... Shouldn't be too bad!

One of the mouthpieces listed is almost the exact same specs as to what I play so I am definitely going to have a few of them in my pouch! This is a Calicchio players' answered wish! If they play as well as the trumpets do (which I have no doubt from looking at all of the listed endorsee's) then looks like these mouthpieces might make a run on the big boys right off the bat!
    Anyone know who is actually doing the manufacturing?

7. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Calicchio Mpc's

I know some of the endorsees ... They really do love their new mpc's, and are using them now. It will be very interesting to try them. Wish I'd been able to go to the NAMM to see the "unvailing". It appears to have been a who's who of trumpet players.

8. crazyhorns

crazyhorns New Friend

Nov 9, 2003
    NJ/Philly
    Calicchio mouthpieces

I had the opportunity to try a few Calicchio mouthpieces.
    I ended up using the Lee Thornburg model for an entire gig and I didn't miss my regular piece at all. Subsequent practice sessions and a 2 hour lesson with Joe Mosello proved to me that the piece is a winner. Thank you for a great design LeeThornburg! I'm normally a .620 diameter player, but the Thornburg at .630 had a zero learning curve. I had more sound/core over the entire range, and altissimo was there -no problem. (B's C's and a few Ds). The exciting thing about the Calicchio mouthpiece line is.. every one of these pieces is being used by working pros whose livelihood depends on their equipment. There's bound to be a great Calicchio piece for everyone. I couldn't be more impressed at the quality of the pieces too... the weight, plating, fit, etc. all were perfect.
    Thanks again to Lee Thornburg for his design.. to Calicchio , and Larry Gianni for making this all happen.
    ~Steve Hyde~

9. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Well,

I did put them up on my chart in case anyone would like to see how the inside diameter matches up to other mouthpieces. Remember the chart, however, tells only one part of the story -- but it is good place to start.

See my signature.

Jim

10. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003

Last edited: May 17, 2007