Calicchio Flugel Valve Springs - Top vs. Bottom Mounted

Discussion in 'Horns' started by rhdroc, Dec 23, 2003.

1. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    Another question for you, Larry :shock:

My Calicchio flugel has bottom mounted valve springs yet the very popular Kanstul Signature 1525 has top mounted springs. Both horns are widely used by pros so I wonder, what's the difference between top mounted and bottom mounted valve springs??

By the way, my Calicchio flugel is a great sounding horn!! My only regret is not getting one with a copper bell. Maybe once John starts making flugels he take mine as a trade-in for a copper-bell model :wink:

Thanks---<Rick

2. CalicchioMan

CalicchioMan Pianissimo User

Dec 23, 2003
    Lombard, IL
    Calicchio Flugel

I love my Calicchio Flugel....I think I would like to have a copper belled Calicchio Flugel too!!!

Scott Wiltfang

3. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    Calicchio Copper-Belled Flugel

I remember when I was searching for my Calicchio flugel I originally tallked with Chris (Calicchio Welk or Welk Calicchio) directly. This was when Calicchio was still operating out of Hollywood. After putting me off for what seemed like the hundredth time, I got the distinct impression that he wasn't all that interested in building/selling horns anymore. Anyways, to make a long story short, Chris mentioned that he'd just sold a copper-belled flugel to Chuck Mangione. Mangione just showed up at the shop one day, played it, then left with it. That must have been one of the last Hollywood Calicchio flugels Chris made. I ended up getting mine from Rayburn Music in Boston. They were so scarce -- no other music retailer in the US seemed to have any in stock!!

Those copper-belled flugels must have been great instruments. From what I've read, other then being a bit of a dent-magnet, the copper content works wonders with the sound. I hope John Duda starts making them soon!!

---<Rick

4. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi Rick,

Just got back from seeing the folks for the holidays. Great trip , but they don't have a computer so no internet.

About the Cal. flugels. I have a copper bell flugel that was one of a pair that was sent to Chuck Mangione for him to pick one from. I had played them both before they went out to make sure everything worked well and I had hoped he would pick the one that didn’t work as well for me and luckily, I got the one that played better for my playing.

The valve springs are bottom loaded the casings are actually made by a company in Germany per Calicchio specs. All the previous Cal. Flugel used the .460 bore trumpet casing with trumpet valves, but the newer ones used the short valves and casings ala Couesnon. Too re-tool for the shorter casings and valves fro just a limited number of flugels would have been just too expensive for a small shop like Calicchio , so this German company agreed to make valves and casing on a per order basis for Calicchio.

For me, the bottom springs give the valves more of a pop and evenness for the shorter piston length, just like Couesnon’s do.

I think when Calicchio get’s running more on auto-pilot , the flugelhorn is the first item to come back. By all means, if you can afford it, get the copper bell. There is no sound like it and the taper of the Calicchio bell is by far the best for a modern compact and fluid, liquididy flugel sound, not tubby like the old Getzens or Benge #5’s or original Yamaha’s.

Larry

PS: I had my lacquered and not only does it play beautifully, but is stunning with the nickel silver, brass and copper combined.