Calicchio Medium bore

Discussion in 'Horns' started by JAM393, Dec 7, 2005.

1. JAM393

JAM393 New Friend

Sep 25, 2005
    Saint Louis, Missouri
    I am considering a Calicchio 1s3RM or 1s3M. Can anyone give me any information on the medium bore Calicchio. Also thoughts on the 3 lead pipe. Thanks.
    Joe

2. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Joe,

I have only played three Calicchio trumpets with the #3 lead pipe. The Jay Daversa model ( R3 bell - med bore - reverse lead pipe - rounded tuning slide - gold plated) a 1s3, and a R23. The #3 lead pipe has a much tighter feel. The note slotting is rather close. Of these three ... I liked the Daversa model the best, but it depends on what you're looking for.

The horn(s) you are asking about are very similar to the Dave Trigg models. What are you looking for? It looks like you are from ST Louis MO. If you're looking for a rather tighter feel horn, talk to Jim Manley. He's played the Yamaha 6310Z and the V-Raptor trumpet the last few years. He's in your area and might be able to help you quite a bit.

3. Soul Dawg

Soul Dawg New Friend

Jul 8, 2004
    Hi,

I'm mainly a lurker here, but I caught this thread and figured there wouldn't be too many people that have one of these horns that they can comment on.

I play a Tulsa-made Calicchio 1s3 medium bore horn, and I absolutely love it! It's the best horn I've ever had. It is only slightly more resistant than all the ML bore horns I've owned in the past (including Bachs, Yamahas, Benge, Getzens, and other Calicchios). This particular horn was designed for Nick Marchione, but I think it is similar to the Dave Trigg model.

When I first started playing it, the only issue was to find a mouthpiece that was a little more open-blowing to compensate for the smaller bore. I was used to using shallow, tight-backbore mouthpieces, and they were a bit too much in the medium bore horn. So, I went to a Bob Reeves mouthpiece with a little bit more room in the cup and their standard #2 backbore, and achieved a comfortable balance in how the horn blew. It's not tight feeling, and doesn't "back up" on me, but the response is lightning-quick. It also doesn't sound "small" - it plays with a full, rich sound and I can really make it sizzle and LOUD in the upper register when I need to. (my primary gig is in a rock band)

Before this horn, I used to own a Hollywood ML Calicchio 1s2 (#2 leadpipe), and I switched that pipe to the #3, and found that I liked the added resistance. MPM is correct, it did make the slotting tighter, but to me it just felt overall much more efficient to play, not stuffy. I sold that horn when I bought the Tulsa horn - my new one just plays easier and more responsively for me, no matter how tired my chops get on the bandstand.

I also have an older ML Calicchio with a #2 bell and #3 leadpipe, and my feelings for that combination are the same as the 1s3 - the #3 leadpipe is very efficient, in that the response of the horn is immediate, and it's easy to focus the sound and play the notes dead center on pitch. My personal preference is to have some resistance to blow against - I don't feel as secure on a wide open horn with "roomy" slotting, but that's just me. ;-)

You might do well to call Calicchio and speak to their sales manager, Dave Johnson. Dave is a very nice guy, and a monster trumpet player, too - he knows all the playing characteristics of the many different models that they make, and would be able to offer you lots of helpful advice. In fact, I believe Dave personally plays medium bore Calicchios when he performs. I know that he play-tests all the horns before they leave their shop, and he helps a lot of their customers with custom designs and special orders.

IMHO, John Duda is one of the finest trumpet makers in the business, and deserves a lot more recognition than he gets. The new instruments he's building in Tulsa are fantastic. You can find their information at www.calicchio.com .

Sorry this is so long - hope it helps. If you have any other questions about the medium bore horn, I'll do my best to help. Good luck!
    Joel