Calicchio R32

Discussion in 'Horns' started by gphorn, Jan 27, 2004.

1. gphorn

gphorn New Friend

Jan 27, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    Does anyone have any experiences playing an R32 and having it blend well with other horns in a section - especially Bach Strads?

Thanks,

Gary

2. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    GP horn

The R32 (#3 red brass bell, standard weight # 2 leadpipe) is one of the outstanding combinations of the line. The sound of the Red Brass bell is a very fluid, warm sound, but when you push it, it really packs a “ punch “ and really never gets to the “breaking point “wither in the core of the sound , or the natural projection it contains and maintains.

The #2 pipe (My personal favorite with a red brass bell) gives a very good balance and efficiency to the playing characteristic of the trumpet. It will let you achieve an “ pp “ attack , easily compatible to a ‘open†Bach 25 pipe in that respect, plus it compliments the #3 bell trumpet especially well if you have to work with players that play Bach’s and you need to be able to, at times, blend with the “ Brackish “ sound in a section setting , but also have the a versatile instrument that has the capability to be pushed a lot harder than any Bach 37, 43 or 72 that I have ever played ( I own NY, Mt V’s and early Elkhart’s , so I know all the characteristics you speak of ) and still hold on to the sweet, fluid , lyrical sound of a #3 rose brass bell plus the ease of playing , sonorous overtones and , unequalled project that is synonymous with a Calicchio Trumpet bell.

The R32 is the like having the pleasure of owning a “Jaguar “ to drive. The Jaguar line have a sleek, elegant , “ lite “ style to them with an understated beauty to it’s performance at normal speeds, but , if need be, can command the “ fast lane “ on the Autobahn and never break a sweet.

That about sums up the R32

From the Calicchio Website, here a description

Red Brass Alloy Bells

Red Brass (a higher concentration of copper which helps produce a smooth sound),
    And our #3 Bell (with its fat throat and five inch diameter) combines to produce a big wide sound. (This description really doesn’t do it justice as far as I’m concerned)

R32 Trumpet

R32 balances a bright #2 leadpipe with a big R3 bell.
    This trumpet maintains a quick response and a consistent sound and feel throughout all registers.
    This is a very versatile instrument.

Again, I differ with the official description. A # 2 pipe is not a overly bright pipe , but it is a very efficient pipe and you can either lay back on it and it hold’s you sound together or “ drop the hammer “ on it and it will take all you can give it and never let you sound get “ bawdy†or “ offensive “. There is a reason this leadpipe is so popular and a much sought after pipe for all the LA Studio players that play or have played Calicchio’s

I would either get a R32 in a Lacuer finish or in a gold plate ( brushed would be stunning ). Silver plate may not let the virtues expose themselves as they should. Just my opinion

Here's a picture of a R32 gold - brushed satin finish owned by another TMer, Gary Pavel

http://calicchio.triadbusinessgroup.com/admin/instruments/images/GaryPavel6448.bmp

WOW !!!

Maybe Gary can tell us about his R32

Larry

Note:

Calicchio Trumpets , now based in Tulsa , will unveil their new website very soon. I got a sneak preview of it and it’s “killer “ with it’s graphics and info. Can’t wait to let the cat out of the bag.

3. gphorn

gphorn New Friend

Jan 27, 2004
    Pittsburgh PA
    My R32

Back in 1999, I was looking for a horn that would have that dark, full, lyrical sound that many of my favorite jazz artists were able to produce. I especially liked Eddie Henderson’s sound. I also wanted a truly custom built pro horn. I started calling many manufacturers to find if such a horn could be built for me. When I called most of the top of the line trumpet makers, I only got to talk to a receptionist who offered to send me a catalog. When I called Calicchio, I was surprised that the owner Chris Weik answered the phone. He was fantastic to talk to and listened to my ideas about the sound I wanted in a horn.
    At first I was interested in his Ultra model, but after a while Chris very excitedly told me about this new model he was building called the R32. He explained that its big red brass bell would give me exactly the type of sound I was looking for, so I ordered one with a brushed gold finish on the spot.
    The R32 has a beautiful silky-smooth tone; its richness is perfect for playing ballads and jazz solos. For me, at least, the horn takes a little more air to fill up than a Bach Strad, and I suppose it is because of the fat-throated 5 ¼ inch bell. Others who have played it have remarked that they liked the smooth sound it gets when playing fast slurred licks. The upper register can really sing but it has more of the sound that Wynton or Terrance Blanchard get on their Monettes, a full, solid cutting sound that is not overly-bright or piercing.
    Two drawbacks that I have found are #1) it does not blend well in a brass quintet when the other player is using a Strad and #2) I had to glue extra cork around my harmon mute so that it would fit into the bell properly.
    I really enjoy playing this horn and use it for most of my playing venues.

Gary