Calicchio Trivia - Maynard once played a Calicchio

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Larry Gianni, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi all,

I thought I would let loose with a little Calicchio history lesson.

Alot of you know that Maynard once played on one of Dominic's mouthpieces that was a copy of a Rudy Muck mouthpiece that Maynard played on in his very early career ( Dominic once worked of Rudy Muck trpt company ) and I believe that the " Groovin High " mouthpiece is based on.

But , there is a trumpet , purchased from Calicchio's in Hollywood , that is orginally registered to the Boss himself, Maynard Ferguson
    It was purhcased in 1956 , it's a large bore .468 bore ( Dominic didn't have the leadpipe numbers at that time ) and it's serial number is # 1561.

Word has it that it was alot like the Besson " Meha " LB , which was very popular at that time , but had a larger flaired bell like the LB #3 Martin Committe plus the bell was paper thin.

I'm told by Irma Calicchio that Pete Ferguson is still in possesion of this trumpet.

It's pretty well known tha Dominic Calicchio did not keep alot of paperwork on the trumpets he built , like the Bach Shop card system, but he did have one book that he kept with the serial number , year made and purchaser, plus bore/bell and leadpipe combination noted when possible.

Oh course, recording the origianl owner was alot easier to do when most of his customers were on a walk-in basis to his Hollywood shop and his trumpets were not then available to retail stores as is the case now.

He did use " one-man " dealers to try to get the instruments to different parts of the US , Europe and Autrailaia.

John Duda still has the origianl book started in 1947 when Dom. moved the shop from New York to Hollywood in the new Tulsa location

Larry

Trivia Question #2 - What now famous trumpet manufacturer/ player used to be the Calicchio dealer in the New York area ? and started designing mouhtpieces based on his origianl Calicchio mouthpiece ?

2. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Callet?

3. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Right you are.

You have won a " Screamming Double C " played by Jerry Callet into your home message machine to keep as your prize.

Larry

4. Mikey

Mikey Forte User

Oct 24, 2003
    Nah,

MPM already has a Dubba C, and it sounds better than anything I have heard from Callet.......

Mikey

5. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Maynards Calicchio MPC

I've played on a copy of one this. Rather small, soft to "no" bite on the inner edge of the rim, very shallow 'v' shaped cup. Same "basic" concept he played for many years.

I've run into a couple of players who've played / play Domonic Calicchio made mpc's. They all sound very good. Would have thought he'd have gotten more into making mpc's than he did ...?

In anycase he sure made some nice trumpets!

6. mlockman

mlockman New Friend

Feb 21, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    Callet Calicchio,and Maynard

One night many years ago when Jerry Callet lived in Pittsburgh he took a Calicchio trumpet to a Maynard concert. After the break he gave it to Manyard to play on a few numbers. Maynard sounded better than the Liberator he was playing at the time. True story. I was there.

7. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    After having Jerry's bell "stuck in my ear" for a couple of years in the mid '70's (when I studied and became VERY good friends with him)...I can't imagine ANYONE having a better (bigger/louder) double "C" than him!!! I'm not talking about on a gig as a player...I'm talking about just sitting in a room and blowing. It was actually scary!!!! And yes...he was using and selling Calicchio's at the time.

Butch

8. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I'M SORRY!...I COULDN'T HEAR YOU....WHAT DID YOU SAY?

NOTICE: I've seen this topic degenerate into an anti-Callet thread before...and then seen that thread degenerate into all kinds of name-calling. So this is an opportunity for me to comment on volume for the sake of volume, not a comment on Jerry Callet....whom I've never met and never heard.... OK?

I think that it's foolish to be seeing who can make the most noise on any instrument. It sure isn't musical and it does nothing but damage the hearing of everyone around you (and quite possibly yourself as well). And with poor hearing, what's the point of music?

Just my opinion but why not make a visit to the local boiler factory and refuse to wear hearing protectors on a shop visit? It's like looking into the sun during an eclipse without eye protection: you wouldn't do it would you? And if you did, who would you blame for your loss of eyesight? Yourself? the Sun? your parents? the Government?

9. chetbaker

chetbaker Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    GEORGIA
    Tootsall

"I think that it's foolish to be seeing who can make the most noise on any instrument. It sure isn't musical and it does nothing but damage the hearing of everyone around you (and quite possibly yourself as well). And with poor hearing, what's the point of music?"

If you're referring to my post about Jerry's double 'C's"....what I was impressed with was the fullness and volume he achieved "in that range" Alot of us can play a decent double "C"...BUT...can we REALLY play a double "C", if that makes any sense! :shock: When someone asks me what's your range I always say double "Ab"..."A" on a good day...because that's what I feel my USEABLE , on a gig, range is. I've run into a number of players that claim a double "D", or whatever...but can they play in on a gig...and/or will it be heard overtop of a big band... unmiked?...probably not. If so, more power to them and they have my envy!!!! :)

On one hand I agree with you 100%...uncontrolled volume, just for the sake of volume, is a waste. On the other hand, if you've ever played in a big band doing B. Rich or Kenton charts volume isn't an option...it's a necessity!!! However, back to your point...if the player isn't musical...I don't care HOW useable their highest note is...bottom line...it's NOT going to come out in a musical way. Remember...the range and volume we're talking about here is not used in a symphony or concert band...we're talking big band, R&B horn band, etc. BIG difference! 8) Some players either choose not to or are not capable of playing in this situation, and there's certainly nothing wrong with that! One of my biggest influences ihas been Chet Baker and he's probably one of mellowest, softest players ever! But for those of us that HAVE chosen the route of being a lead player...we can DEFINITELY appreciate, VERY MUCH, what it took for that particular player, in this case JerryCallet , to have mastered and obtained such an awesome sound/volume in the extreme upper register of the trumpet. I haven't even gotten to Maynard yet!!! :wink:

I apologize to everyone for taking this topic off track but I just felt this needed to be clarified from another persons perspective. Tootsall...no offense intended...we're just coming from different sides of the fence...BUT...we both play (you will soon) an Eclipse!!! 8)
    8) 8)

Butch

10. CJDJazzTpt

CJDJazzTpt Pianissimo User

May 31, 2004
    New Orleans, LA
    Larry,

Can you shed some light on the #4 leadpipe that Dominic used to make? I have a friend who owns an older Dominic horn that I believe to be a 1s/4??? The leadpipe has a #4 stamped on it.
    I can find out the serial number to see who originally bought the horn if that would help you out any..... The horn was gold plated a number of years ago. The horn has a very together sound on it, but I just wanted to know more about the #4 leadpipe!

Thanks