Calicchio Video?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by chops1, Dec 28, 2003.

1. chops1

chops1 New Friend

Dec 27, 2003
    Has anybody seen or heard of this video.
    It's supposed to be of Dominic making one his trumpets. He works a little bit takes a break and drinks some wine. Some have a copy of this video?

Chops1

2. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    WOW :shock: That would be sweet to see.

3. rhdroc

rhdroc Pianissimo User

Nov 17, 2003
    Central Pennsylvania
    Calicchio Video

Shortly before Calicchio was sold to its new owners, there was a video- like introduction on their website that gave a brief history of Calicchio. It showed Dominic arriving at the shop (which was actually a house) in his car and working on a horn. I can't remember much more than that and I don't think it's on the new Calicchio site.

---<Rick

4. DrunkIQ

DrunkIQ Pianissimo User

Nov 21, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    they needed to redo it anyways - I had to put my eyeball on the screen to see it...

It was pretty interesting to see him bang all the metal into a bell. He also mentioned he had to make his own lathe. Untill I saw the video I did not know that he had never played a single note on the horn. I did find the section where he spoke about his apprentianceship a little disturbing, but felt is was nessussary to show how come he was the way he was. They realy need to repost it..

-marc

5. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hi all,

Just got back from seeing family. My folks live in ancient times and have now computer, so now internet.

I have a copy of the video, it's called " Making of a Craftsman " and I believe it was a PBS presentation about Dom. Calicchio , the shop and how he was the last generation of craftsman making instruments by hand.

I don't think there are any shot's of him drinking in the video, but he does say his famous quote " If I can do, I do, If I no can do, "I no can do" ".

John Duda at Calicchio is in the process of making a new website so maybe he'll put it back on the site. I'm sorry, but because it's not really my property, I don't think it would be right of me to make any copies and give them to people unless I had John and probably Chris and Irma Calicchio's permission, who probably still own it legally.

Larry

I think I’ll watch it again tonight.

6. NOwens

NOwens New Friend

Nov 13, 2008
    Valley Village, CA
    i just watched it, you have to mail them your serial number and your name, then they will send you the video has a "thank you". its an awesome video.

7. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    When I bought a Calicchio in the 80's they sent me a VHS of Freddie Hubbard going through the factory and playing. I don't know what he was on as you could hardly understand a word he said but he played like a maniac. He had an insane technique in the 80's. (Tape stretched and I chucked it)

8. bigdog

bigdog Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2005
    hawaii
    i maybe wrong but ,i think i saw that video on the site one or two months ago ??
    a lady entered a small building and showed some kinda young dudes,don't remember seeing dominic (sp ) making a horn. the bell, fitting
    the slides on the valves etc.,........... was grainy at the least, but was very interesting to see. had to back-up from the screen about 2 feet tho.............

kinda makes you think of all the sweat and hard work just to make what some take for granted,the horns are an extension of those craftsmen and women, it's up to us players of these horns, to make the love they put into them be heard............
    aloha,