Calicchio

Discussion in 'Horns' started by eoliver, Jan 6, 2005.

1. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi Everbody,

I'm looking for a new lead horn, and am seriously considering a Calicchio. I've talked to the guys at the factory and tried out several of their horns (as well as several other brands), and my favorite horn of theirs that I tried was the 1sZ/3rl. I was wondering if anyone here has had any experience with the people over at Calicchio, and what your thoughts are on the quality of their product. I'm also looking for people who have ordered their horns from the factory and dealt directly with John and the other folks in Tulsa. Thanks!

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Eric,

I can say as a Kanstul dealer, I have heard nothing but good stuff about the Calicchio people in Tulsa and those who want lead recording horns, it is a great option.

But why not buy it from a dealer? One thing as a dealer I really dislike is having to compete with the factory. Kanstul only sells through dealers -- which is nice. Even if you want a customized horn -- see a dealer.

Just my 2 cents worth. :roll:

Jim

3. eoliver

eoliver Pianissimo User

Nov 15, 2004
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hey Jim,

Thanks for your reply. That was another thing that I was wondering about, whether it is better to buy through a dealer or through the factory. Does anyone know of any Calicchio dealers other than WWBW? Thanks again,

4. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    I personally would go through the factory. John Duda is a great guy, and one hell of a horn builder. I took a trip to the factory this past summer, and want to go back again (maybe I'll get to see the eclipse factory when I win that contest :evil: ). If you do decide to go through a store, go through Ceth Barnett at Tulsa Band. I buy everything from him. He always gives me good prices, and great personal service. It seems lately that WWandBW has lost alot of their knowlege, and personal service. Anyway, it's late, and I am beginning to rant. My apologies...goodnight all.

Jon

5. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Talk to the people at Tulsa Band. They are right there in Tulsa, and can help you. People like me, or Tulsa Band, pride ourselves of personal service and not just cut rate discounts and no (or poor service). If you don't support your dealers, [enter big retail chain of your choice here] will be all that is left -- the Walmarts of musical instruments. :cry:

And [enter big retail chain of your choice here] tends to only sell products that sell in volume. Great instruments that may only sell a few a month will be discontinued. Volume is all they work on. Hence the plethora of Bach 180-37s.

http://www.tulsaband.com/Store/customer/home.php

Support you dealers!
    :soap:

OK, I am done now.

Jim

6. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Calicchio trumpets

Eric,

John Duda "does" make really fine trumpets, no doubt. As for a "lead-horn" ... hmmm .... loose the term. A good trumpet is a good trumpet. There have been very fine lead trumpt players that have played various makes and models ... Besson, Getzen, Bach, Martin, Schilke, Scodwell, Calicchio, Bach, Yamaha ... it's going to depend on which horn helps you get the sound you hear in your head the easiest.

You asked specificly about Calicchio ... there you have really good players playing many diffenrnt models ... Dave Trigg (I think) is favoring a med. bore, #3 lead pipe, 1s bell. Chuck Findley, a 1s2. Lin Biviano has a great large bore 1s7, Mike Williams, (I think) was liking a light weight 1s2 ??? Doug Michels, I think likes the #3 pipe, ML bore #3 bell. And, the large, med Large, and med bores ... you know that too will depend on you, your mpc, how you play, etc ... :dontknow:

But ... they are making very nice horns in Tulsa whether you deal directly or through a dealer.

7. Balt58

Balt58 New Friend

Feb 18, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    I had John make me a R37 summer of '03. It's a dream of a horn. I talked to Dave Johnson a few times as were talking about the specifics and then John as he was putting it together. It's like dealing with family. I would never hesitate to go to them again. The horns are hand made down to the smallest part and they make everything themselves. They buy nothing from anyone. I'm proud to own and play on John's art.

8. halfnote

halfnote New Friend

Oct 4, 2004
    Toronto
    Balt58 -
    What kind of playing do you do with your R37? I've been thinking about a Calicchio horn that has a more focused sound and would fit into a variety of settings - orchestra, bigband, smallgroup jazz, etc... and the R37 seems like it might be a good all 'round horn - just from descriptions I've read. Your thoughts on the horn would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, All the best....

9. Balt58

Balt58 New Friend

Feb 18, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Halfnote -

I had my R37 made to fit in between my Calicchio 1S2 and Cousenon flugel. I wanted a darker, broader sound that I could manipulate better than the 1S2. I had mine made in L bore (.468) with a reversed pipe and no brace on the tuning slide to open it up a bit. I currently use a Dennis Wick 4 on it for legit playing and use one weighted cap on the 3rd valve. I play the 4th book/jazz chair in a big band and two symphonic settings and this combination allows me to completely fill any size hall with sound. I can bend the notes like a vintage Martin Committee. Mine is in lacquer and is a real no-frills horn that can do anything. If you want to play lead with a Calicchio 3 bell (big flair, like Flip Oakes' Wild Thing - you may have to add some cork to a few mutes), I'd go with a 2 leapipe and have it made in ML bore (.460). If you can only have 1 Calicchio and want to use it for everything, I'd go more towards an R32 in ML and just change-out the mouthpiece for whatever setting you're in. The R32 I describe is a stock model. Visit the Calicchio website to see all the details. John and his staff can come up with anything you like. I can't say enough about my experience.

10. Tulsaband

Tulsaband New Friend

Mar 31, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for all the positive words about Tulsa Band in this forum, we certainly appreciate it. I did want to let everyone know that we have a new website up and running. Here is the correct web address:

www.tulsaband.com

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to call or email us anytime!

Ceth Barnett
    Tulsa Band Instruments
    (800) 564-1676