Calicchio's Newest - " The Dave Trigg Model "

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Larry Gianni, Jun 12, 2004.

1. Larry Gianni

Larry Gianni Piano User

Nov 11, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Hello,

I was sent this from the TH site so I thought I would share it here on TM. I know Scott posts here , so I'm sure it OK to re-print. It's a discussion of the new " Dave Trigg " model Calicchio that appears on the Calicchio Website.

This model trumpet with it's finite " modifications " for Dave Trigg's very precise requirements , I can say in all sincerity , could not have been possible at the Hollywood location. It was the very hard work, dedication and the expertise and commitment to quality that John Duda and the Tulsa Calicchio crew has brought to the " trumpet table " that made this ( and other Tulsa exclusive models ) possible. This I say from the heart, and being a part of the Hollywood operation for a while , I know of which I speak.

I've especially proud of the Dave Trigg Calicchio for 2 more selfish reasons also:

First :

I'm a friend of Dave Trigg's and Dave was living in Los Angeles at the time of the sale of Calicchio Trumpets to John Duda ( and it's subsequent move to Tulsa ) and I was the one who actually introduced Dave to John with thoughts of something new at Calicchio to celebrate the new ownership and location... a personal model trumpet to highlight what John could do. Dave Trigg immediately came to mind because of not only the fine player he is perfectly suited for a Calicchio model named after him, but he is really one of the nicest and most sincere guys around. I thought he would be an excellent candidate as one of the first " Totally Tulsa " Calicchio trumpets and entirely new Calicchio design.

Second:

I was actually very instrumental in the development of this model , testing the first 4 Pôrto and then sending them off to Dave who had moved back to NY by this time, making suggestions as to leadpipe leadpipe opening ( venturi ) size, leadpipe length , reversed leadpipe , tuning slide bracing , total " liteweight " custom bracing of the entire trumpet, a customized 1sZ bell ( Dave actually played my Dominic made 1s B ( bronze ) bell , gold plated , on a Natalie Cole show out here at the Anaheim pond and fell in love with it , he played the entire show on this trumpet, so it was copied exactly ) and so on , plus I was convinced on the idea a that a Medium bore trumpet , if built properly , would be very well accepted , " efficiency " minded trumpet , stressing quality all along the way in it's final design.

The 4 Proto-Type DT trumpets that " The Tulsa Crew " had put together for Dave's trial and approval were so remarkable a trumpet in itself, that John and the Tulsa Calicchio crew were talked into selling them to 4 top professional before the eventual and official Dave Trigg model was unveiled for the public. John had no intension of doing this, but you know how a trumpet player who really wants something can be so persuasive eh they want to.

I have to say , Dave Trigg is one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet and I actually miss him when he decided to move back to New York. He is off course " Natalie Cole's " lead trumpet player for the last 12 years but is also very comfortable playing in the Broadway Theater orchestra's next to the likes of Bob Millikan , Glenn Drewes, Joe Mosello , Craig Johnson, etc.

In a nutshell, Dave Trigg is a monster .. no other way of saying it, yet he is one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet. He is so genuine and warm a person , you'd never think he is one of the leading trumpet players in the world. Dave himself would never say this , so I'll say it for him and I don't think anyone would ever disagree on the matter.

OK, here's the Trumpetherald discussion of the Dave Trigg Calicchio Model.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi,

Does anyone play the Calicchio Dave Trigg Model? Can you share your thoughts/experience with this horn?
    |/ (__=||||=__) 1sZ/3RL (.468)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lowell
    Veteran Member

Hi Scott What is the Bell, Bore, and Lead Pipe configuration of this horn?
    Thanks,
    Lowell

[ This Message was edited by: Lowell on 2004-06-09 13:49 ]

CalicchioMan

Posted: 2004-06-09 14:09
    Hey Lowell,

Here's the info on the Trigg Calicchio (taken from the Calicchio website):

DT-1s/3rM
    Designed in conjunction with Dave Trigg, this trumpet features a reverse 3 leadpipe with a rounded tunning slide that creates a smooth and open blow. Designed for those who prefer a smaller bore horn with that fat , rich Calicchio sound. The ballanced resistance facilitates dynamic response with robust results throughout the entire range of the horn

[ This Message was edited by: CalicchioMan on 2004-06-09 14:10 ]

[ This Message was edited by: CalicchioMan on 2004-06-09 14:20 ]

Fleebat

Posted: 2004-06-09 14:14
    I've played the Dave Trigg Calicchio. My folks live in Tulsa, where John Duda is making the "new" Calicchios. During a visit there a couple months ago I spent some time at John's shop. First, let me say that if you're one of those (like me) who finds more to like in the old-school, hand-built methods than in the "brass into one end, trumpets out the other" factory approach, this is a place for you. John is building the DAYLIGHTS out of these horns. Historically, Calicchios had some quirky valve issues and varied a great deal from sample to sample. No more.

The Trigg model I played was just-finished. Lacquered brass with a #3 bell. It was (as I believe all "Triggs" are--but don't quote me) a medium-bore horn. Played more openly than any large-bore I've ever held. THE VERY BEST TRUMPET I'VE EVER PLAYED, hands down, period, exclamation point. And I've played a few since, oh, about 1972. Typically, "lead" horns sound a bit brittle or blatant to me. This thing was pure butter all the way up (well, as far as I can go, anyway). Intonation was utterly NAILED. Even sound in all registers, and VERSATILE! You can morph from a nice, "foggy" vocal sound to a crisp Hubbard-like fatness to a centered sizzle just by flipping a mental switch (seems that way, anyhow).

I played several other new horns at John's place; large bore stuff, etc. And they were all very, VERY good; same great intonation, valves, same even blow, all that. But the Trigg was something very, very special. Outside of blending with an orchestral section full of Bachs (which would probably be C horns anyway), I can't imagine a gig you couldn't take the Trigg on and sound perfect. John says he'll start on mine sometime after he gets back from ITG.

I have no specific loyalty to Calicchios, by the way. I'm not a "brand nazi," not inclined to list my horns in my posts or engage in debates about which make is best. Heck, I'd play a horn labeled "K-Mart" if it played and sounded like the Trigg I tried at John's place. I think there are lots of great horns out there, some made by larger companies, most turned out by dedicated, tinkering craftsmen like John and his small crew. But I can tell you that the Trigg I played was head & shoulders above ANYTHING I've ever blown. Is it the perfect horn for everyone? Surely not (hmmm... went to school with a gal named "Shirley Knott"...) But it's a GREAT horn.

Finally, John said to me as I was packing up that his goal is to make every horn that comes out of his shop the best horn he's ever made. Having toured the place and seen how they work, I believe he can do it. Do yourself a huge favor and try one of these the first chance you get!

Rusty Russell

CalicchioMan

Posted: 2004-06-09 14:32
    Rusty,

What Calicchio model is John going to make for you? The Trigg? TIA

Scott Wiltfang
    [email protected]
    |\_____ --- _____

Fleebat

Posted: 2004-06-09 14:41
    Scott,

Yup, the Trigg. I hadn't intended to fall in love, but, well. I make most of my living with photography, and I was talking to John about doing some shots of his horns. I think we've worked it out, which will be cool. I have an older (Kanstul) Meha, and a Kanstul Chicago ML that's a couple years old. John helped me find it when he was still at Tulsa Band. That's how I got to know him. I'd played Bachs for a long time, but was doing some European blues festivals and touring over there, and wanted something with a bit more slip, slide, and edge than my 37. Wish he'd been making the Trigg back then; they recorded a couple of the Festival gigs!

Hope you get to try one of these soon. Don't be afraid of the "medium bore" specs. Really doesn't feel restricted whatsoever. After all, Dave Trigg puts a bit of air through a horn, right? Rusty

CalicchioMan

Posted: 2004-06-09 14:45
    Rusty,

I think the Trigg model might worth a solid try! I know that I'll eventually try one....John is making some really great horns.... I have 3 Tulsa Calicchios!! hmmm Maybe the Trigg will be my 4th! <GRIN>

Scott Wiltfang
    [email protected]
    |\_____ --- _____

Fleebat

Posted: 2004-06-09 14:52
    So YOU'RE the guy John was talking about!! I think he's gonna put up a plaque with your name on it, or maybe melt down some bells and make a bust of you for the shop floor! I hope things continue to go well for him; he's really got his heart in it, and you're right; he's making some fine, fine horns. Rusty

PS: Don't you DARE slip in ahead of me on his building schedule! Ha!

CalicchioMan

Posted: 2004-06-09 16:53
    Rusty,

Well, Geez that would be a great honor to have a bust of me @ Calicchio.....But not likely <GRIN> Maybe a nice oil painting....LOL

Anyway, you're safe for now with your schedule with John...

Regards,

Scott Wiltfang
    [email protected]
    |\_____ --- _____

timcates

Posted: 2004-06-09 19:00
    just bought one last weekend from Tulsa Band (kudos and thanks to Ceth and Dave Johnson who was hanging in the shop and went above and beyond the call of duty to make sure that I was happy with the horn) - I've played it in church (studio orchestra) and with a rock band horn section this week and it absolutely smokes! Plenty of power, nice slotting in the upper register, you can color the sound however you want -

FYI, Dave Johnson told me that they had made a few modifications on the 1st Trigg horn (went to regular brass for the bell and opened the bell stem/choke a bit).

Playing tonight with a small jazz combo - I'll let you know how it works for that - TC

trumpet manor

Quote:

On 2004-06-09 14:14, Fleebat wrote:

The Trigg model I played ....................... Played more openly than any large-bore I've ever held.

Rusty Russell

Did you really mean large-bore, or possibly medium large? It's hard to believe that a medium bore horn would blow more openly than a large bore.

Fleebat

Posted: 2004-06-09 21:21

Fleebat

Posted: 2004-06-09 21:43
    T Manor,

Go play one. You'll see what I mean. As many have known for a long time (and as has been bandied about in these posts a lot of late), bore isn't everything. Just like any horn, I'm sure a heavy hitter could overblow it, but my impression was that the sound would still be really good; sort of like a natural compression (as in a compressor in a studio or that a guitarist would use). In my experience, if you can muster enough air to overblow a large bore horn, it sounds like one big blat.

You have to play one of these things. It's almost like the horn is ADDING volume, like the whole thing just lights up. Of course, physics tells us that you can get more air through a bigger hole. Sure. But in terms of blowing QUALITY SOUND (more than just air, IMHO), I cannot remember playing a LARGE bore horn that can touch it. Think in terms of how much you put out/how much it gives back. Efficiency. Really free; you goose it, it gooses back. I think a good strong high-note guy could play this horn as loud as anything you could name.

Over the last 35 years, I've owned Bachs (lots: MV & Elkhart), Benges (Burbank, LA, UMI), Conns, Getzens, Bessons (old French & Kanstul), and the Kanstul Chicago that I currently play (ML). I'd trade any and all for one of those Triggs. So, yeah, you might be able to shove more AIR through certain large bore horns, if shoving air was your actual goal. (Or you could just become a professional wrestler and get it over with.) But my impression was that any strong lead player could give someone in the back row an anurism with one of these horns. (Not that I'd want to; my tastes lean a bit more "combo" than that any more). Hope that clears things up.

Rusty

Fleebat

Posted: 2004-06-09 21:47
    T Manor,

By the way, have you looked at a resume for Dave Trigg? No way he could do all that on a stuffy horn.

R.R.

[ This Message was edited by: Fleebat on 2004-06-09 21:48 ]

trumpet manor

So you DID mean large bore....

btw, I've played with Dave Trigg a few times

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
    Author Dave Trigg Calicchio.........
    Fleebat

Posted: 2004-06-09 21:56
    I bow to the waist! I'm not a big lead player. Never wanted to be. So if a large-bore comparison was really important to you, you might want to call Dave & get his take. But do yourself a favor and check one of these out. You know that nice, coppery, fat-but-crisp combo sound? This'll do it, big time. And if you weren't gettin the audience's attention that way, you could start pasting them to the wall one at a time with high notes. No kiddin'.

Rusty

Fleebat

Posted: 2004-06-09 22:01
    Quote:

On 2004-06-09 21:51, trumpet manor wrote:
    So you DID mean large bore....

btw, I've played with Dave Trigg a few times

Next time you play with him, axe him if you can play his Calicchio for a tune. Bet you'll S.L.G.R.B
    Rusty

trumpet manor

[/quote]
    Next time you play with him, axe him if you can play his Calicchio for a tune. Bet you'll S.L.G.R.B
    Rusty
    [/quote]

I certainly will. I've never seen him play the horn of which you speak, but I haven't played with him in a while.

The first time I played with him he was playing a Meha, ML I think. He told me he just came off a M bore horn. I played with him about a year ago and I think he had a Benge. He was playing some HUGE A's that day. He's switched back and forth between M's and ML's for a while. He goes back to the M because he just doesn't want to work too hard. He has a very exciting sound.

My horn of choice these days is a 72 lightweight, ML. It has a very open blow. I find that once I'm used to an open blow, I don't like going back to a tighter horn.

I know M bore horns pretty well. I just sold a VERY sweet 6310B, M bore. I have a NY Mercedes M bore that I may sell soon. That Trigg horn sounds very interesting. I'd like to try one.

TM

Fleebat

Posted: 2004-06-09 22:32

Fleebat

Posted: 2004-06-09 22:46
    TM,

I think Calicchio's Trigg model is fairly new to the line. You probably know more about M horns than I do. I've mostly played ML stuff, and I never liked working as hard as most Large bore pieces required. Funny, the Trigg I played at John's was the second M horn that impressed me as really free. The first was a Bach that a friend had, way back in the early 70s. I remember teasing him (we were high school kids) about having "just" a medium-bore horn, when all the rest of us had MLs. Thing was, he could play as loud & high as any of us, but his SOUND stayed good all the way up, unlike ours. I remember that horn as being really open feeling. Up to now I've thought of it as just one of those crazy Bach quirks. Having said that, I think that when a guy gets used to pumping lung into a large bore horn AND focuses on a good sound, it's a beautiful thing. One more thing, as people seem to like to pull old posts apart and try to nitpick with them, I should try to clarify...
    "Free blowing" or "open," for me, is defined by how & when I feel resistance in the horn, compared with what's coming out the other end. And that's the cool thing about the Calicchio Trigg (the one that I played, anyhow). If I have to make the big blat to get to a point of resistance, that feels more "sloppy" to me that "open." The feeling with this one was that I was getting a lot more out of the bell than it seemed I should, judging by the resistance I was experiencing. Hope that helps. And hang onto that little Bach! Could come in handy when you get to be a geeze like me! Best, R

trumpet manor

Quote:

On 2004-06-09 22:46, Fleebat wrote:
    "Free blowing" or "open," for me, is defined by how & when I feel resistance in the horn, compared with what's coming out the other end.

Rusty

I think this is an excellent description. And while we're on the subject, bore size has nothing to do with the size of sound one can produce. I've heard Lew Soloff sound HUGE on that small bore Bach that he plays.

Thanks for the exchange. All the best.

TM

Fleebat

Posted: 2004-06-09 23:34

Fleebat

Posted: 2004-06-09 23:36
    Yeah, Lew S. ... He's been just SPANKIN' the thing for as long as I can remember.
    Nice trading fours with you.

R.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
    Select a Forum Site Announcements ---------------- trumpetherald.com Trumpet Skills ---------------- Fundamentals Jazz/Commercial Orchestral/Chamber Music/Solo Pedagogy High Range Development Cornet/Flügelhorn Equipment ---------------- Horns Mouthpieces Other Toys Performance & Literature ---------------- Performers Literature Recordings Schools Dedicated Forums ---------------- Jerome Callet Claude Gordon Chicago School Bill Adam Carmine Caruso James Stamp Debating Forum Donald S. Reinhardt Comeback Players The Balanced Embouchure TrumpetHerald.com ---------------- Comments and Suggestions The Lounge Reveille TH Private Forum