Callet 3rd valve slide conversion?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Trumpet1Ohio, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Has anyone had the Callet 3rd valve slide conversion done on their horn? I'm having Lee Adams with Callet overhaul my Burbank Benge 3X this month. In the discussions via e-mail with them it was suggested that their 3rd valve slide conversion would (or could) make my horn play better. Anyone have any opinions?

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

I've played several Callet Jazz trumpets with and without the third valve slide conversion and, on that horn, the conversion ones played better.

The vintage F. Besson trumpets originally came with the ring underneath and then later someone decided to reverse the third valve slide assembly so the long female tube containing the ring would be on top. I suspect this was to make it cheaper to make cases, as well as to make it a little easier for some to operate. Neither of these "reasons" though were because it made the horns sound better, and possibly this was considered a well-calculated tradeoff for marketing reasons!

Reversing the third valve slide assembly doesn't just mean turning the slide upside down and relocating the spit valve. It also means that one must reverse the smaller connecting pieces that attach to the vavle body to receive the third valve slide. You must also attach the small brace that runs from the tuning slide's fixed receiver to the OTHER third valve slide receiver.

Doing this opens the blow of the horn up and many claim that the original F. Besson way is the correct way to make a horn play better! I sure like it better on the Callet Jazz trumpets I've played.

Some early Bach Strads, and early Benge trumpets also had the ring below the third valve slide, as did many vintage Conns and a few other brands.

Lee knows his stuff, and I don't think you'll be disappointed if you've talked with him and he thinks it will solve some problems you may have with your horn!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

3. ScreaminRaider

ScreaminRaider Piano User

Apr 22, 2004
    San Antonio, Tx
    Yeah, what Tom said :D

I have also played on Callet horns with and without the 3rd slide conversion. Mine is the most freeblowing horn I have ever played. I love it.

4. Trumpet1Ohio

Trumpet1Ohio Piano User

Jun 22, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks for your comments, I just shipped it to Lee today. He said he'd play it and give me some feedback before we go ahead. I wasn't aware that the ring on the bottom was done before. I was concerned that it might devalue the horn or be considered weird. Talked to a guy today that showed me a picture of Louis Armstrong's horn with the ring on the bottom. Frankly, with the way I hold the horn, I think I might like it better.

Thanks again for your feedback. I love this forum!