Callet Grand PRix

Discussion in 'Horns' started by musicalmason, Dec 14, 2003.

1. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I got a used 1989(I think) Callet grand PRix from dillons music in NJ a while back. It is silver plate with a raw brass blackburn leadpipe. Lightweight large bore (.470) I originally got it for marching, and ending up using it in jazz and classical that doesnt involve sharp tounging. much more than I payed for as I see it. I only paid around 650 for it, great deal. Yet the model isnt on his website and Ive never heard of anybody ele playing. does anybody else out there play a grand prix?

2. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Jerry Callet made a Callet Grand Prix model right after his NY Callet line was produced. The first Callet Grand Prix model produced was a .453 bore. It played quite well, but wasn't very popular because of the smaller bore size, so it's possible, and probable that Jerry did have a few built in the large bore configuration. Sounds like that .470 bore model is a "Collector's Item" to me!

Happy Holidays!
    Bruce

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I'm just posting here to bring this thread back into the "public eye" because after much reserch, and I appriciate your imput bruce, but I still really havent found out much about my horn...is it really a "collectors item"..how many were made..does anybody know? if not its ok Im just very curious

4. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    ok guys, I really need some imput here if anybody can help. after fairly expensive searching on the net the only things I could find regarding the callet grand prix are about my specific horn, all posts made by me, and on eon trumpet herald that was posted about my horn before I bought it. I emailed Mr. Callet about the horn and his respose was very simplistic, I know hes busy, but all it said was I made the horn in 1989. Does anybody out there know anything? I might be looking to sell maybe, not soon but eventually and I would really like to know if I truly am dealing with a unique horn. any help PLEASE. thanks.

5. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I'm surprised to see you using a 3C on both the Callet and your Bach. Have you got the stock backbore on the the 3C with the Callet, or something a little tighter?

Dave

6. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    stock, but I'm actually looking for something a little more open, the bach is a real tight blow for me.

7. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    For the Bach you might consider a GR66LX. I'm an old 3C/ 1.5C guy and find that the LX gives me the best of all worlds. I use it with "tighter" horns, like the Bach 180/37 and 8335-Xenos. I wouldn't use it for lead, but it's got a nice round, full sound below high-C.

Dave

8. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I filled out the gr questionare and brian recommend me the gr66** or 66*** I havent had a chance to try any of them yet, mainly becuase I dont have 100 bucks or more to spend on a mouthpiece right now. I have tried quite a few stork V's though and I really like them.

9. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    ok so I take it nobody knows any more than I do, I guess it will just remain a mystery.

10. dcstep

dcstep Mezzo Piano User

Nov 27, 2003
    Denver
    I've tried the GRs, but I can't compare them to the Storks for you. However, compared to the 3Cs they give you better intonation, easier range and equivalent tone.

Dave