Callet Jazz Vs Stratosphere

Discussion in 'Horns' started by trptbenge, May 13, 2004.

1. trptbenge

trptbenge Pianissimo User

Jan 15, 2004
    Atlanta
    I recently had the opportunity to play both horns - including a Gold Plated Jazz. I liked both horns for different reasons. The Jazz was, of course, more open and did not close up like many horns do as you go above high C into the upper register. On the other hand the Stratosphere had some resistance to blow agains't but had maintained a very even scale as you went up. You can really make it sizzle.

I have been playing larger bore horns so I am getting used to less resistance. However, I still like having something to push agains't. Has anyone else played both horns. If so, please give me your feedback.

Mike

2. TheMoose

TheMoose Pianissimo User

Nov 3, 2003
    I had an opportunity last Sept. to play a wide variety of horns The Callet Jazz and Statosphere, Eclipse, several Lawlers, Wild Things, a Blackburn and a Vintage 1920 something New York Bach. A wide variety of horns with different bell flares and bores. In saying this I found that there is alot more to horns than "what size bore it has". Lead pipe configuration and weight being just two. I prefered the Jazz because it is more open, it seems that alot of "legit" players prefer the smaller bore on the Strat because it more closely mimics the horn of the "legit" players, the Bach Strad. Compare these horns and even though they may be close, like two bulls in a 40 acre field, you still have a case of apples and oranges. The average Callet out plays the average Bach Strad by a mile. Projection is just one thing that appears a lot better with the Callet. Most players who pick the Jazz are lead players or ones that crossover from Jazz and big band playing to ensembles and symphony work. The Jazz covers a very large area of playing situations and in the right hands (BOB ODNEAL) can blend with anything out there. Sometimes it make reguire a mouthpiece adjustment but otherwise the player is good to go.

3. Bob Odneal

Bob Odneal Pianissimo User

Jan 5, 2004
    Houston, Texas
    Jazz/ Stratos

Thanks Moose!

I like both horns. I think a lot has to do with how your mpc matches up with the horn. You have to balance the resistance.