Callet method and spit buzzing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by katie-did, May 29, 2009.

1. katie-did

katie-did New Friend

May 8, 2009
    Hi, I've been trying the Callet method and spit buzzing, from what I've been reading about it - and trying to keep my tongue in front of my teeth as he says. It's extremely hard to keep the tongue in front of the teeth all the time ! Driving me a bit nuts. Any comments about this ?? Thank you !

2. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Tried it, can't do it. Traditional metods work best for me.

3. NickD

NickD Forte User

4. ed haley

ed haley New Friend

Mar 1, 2008
    Chicago
    It is a little clumsy at first since we ordinarily don't pay very close attention to our tongue/lip connection. But, I have been working on Callets exercises and little by little it seems to be feeling right. It helps if you have the exercises and ( I have found ) if you can work with the Super Chops mouthpieces. I have a SC2 for cornet and SC3 for trumpet. I think they are very good. Anyway, keep after it and remember that Jerry Callet is a very approachable guy and will talk things over by phone and will give a very useful lesson by phone. Good luck.

5. svburns

svburns New Friend

Oct 26, 2008
    Chicago
    Hi, I've been trying the Callet method and spit buzzing, from what I've been reading about it - and trying to keep my tongue in front of my teeth as he says. It's extremely hard to keep the tongue in front of the teeth all the time ! Driving me a bit nuts. Any comments about this ?? Thank you !

Katy Did:Instead of putting it between the lip and teeth try resting it on top of the lower teeth as if your were pronouncing 'Th' all the time. Effectively accomplishes the same thing without disturbing the placement of the mouthpiece. Keep the tongue under the air.

6. katie-did

katie-did New Friend

May 8, 2009
    Thanks guys. I think I need to continue experimenting with it. I was feeling disheartened as I felt I was going backwards instead of forwards. But I think I'll order a Superchops mouthpiece and carry on trying to strengthen the tongue. Pedal notes seem to be a good thing to do also, though not much success with double pedals as yet. And crisp tonguing ?? My tongue doesn't seem to catch up with my fingers. ( Perhaps I need to start slow and build it up... ? )

7. talcito

talcito Piano User

Feb 18, 2004
    The tongue is always going to be in your way with this system. The few guys I have seen being able to pull it off always seem to have problems with their time. They are effectively able to release a real strong high note at the end of chart when they have a chance to wind-up for it......but that's about it.

Unless you have some special situation, you will progress much better with the traditional systems.

All the best to you.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks Nick.

9. svburns

svburns New Friend

Oct 26, 2008
    Chicago
    Time & tongue placement? I don't quite get the correlation. It's the ear that determines time and pitch. Callet addresses physical issues. Those are musical issue. I agree the traditional method is better, but this tongue placement is a variation on the traditional anchor tonguing. Last time I checked Ray Mase Armando Ghitalla, Dave Bilger and a whole bunch of lead and jazz players who play 'anchored' have/had no problem with time.

10. bobharry0

bobharry0 New Friend

Sep 23, 2009
    new york
    I,ve been doing it for years and i studied with Jerry You must play less but correctly until your tongue forms correctly. Any one that does not do this will not be strong and will always have problems and play out of tune FLAT They blame it on their mouthpiece. Good luck