Callet method and spit buzzing

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by katie-did, May 29, 2009.

1. trumpetguy27

trumpetguy27 Mezzo Piano User

May 30, 2008
    Maryland
    So I'm not a Super Chopper... yet... Am I going to become one? Maybe??? I have the DVD and have done some experimenting... I'm not sure if it's for me or not yet.

That being said, I have a few thoughts...

First of all, go to the trumpetherald site... there is a whole forum dedicated to Callet "stuff" there... with a lot of good info.

Second... since I visited Kyle (Jerry's "right hand man" in business) a few months ago to buy a horn from him I have been using Jerry's SC 4 mouthpiece and REALLY like it!!! BUT... I'm not sure if I'd try and switch mouthpieces AND embouchure all at once. What Mouthpiece are you playing now? What style(s) of playing do you do?

Just some thoughts.

Good Luck!!!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I ordered what turned out to be an awesome leadpipe for my Scherzer piccolo from Jerry, heard him play a double c over the phone, and listened to his embouchure advice. I never adopted what he suggested, but did notice that I was automatically doing what he was proposing in some registers.

Here comes the rub: if we chase after the sound we hear in our heads, we'll develop the technique, but if we chase after the technique we'll ruin our sound.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is pretty naive to reduce the Callet system to spit buzzing and tongue position. This method is a lot more involved and not really suitable for DIY.

If you know why you want Callet, then get a teacher that knows it inside out and have them monitor your progress. If ones breathing sucks for instance, no amount of spit, buzz or centered tongue will fix that.