Callet STRATOSPHERE Bb Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bruce Lee, Dec 19, 2003.

1. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    CALLET STRATOSPHERE Bb TRUMPET

A History:

A lot of folks ask about the specific design of the new Callet Stratosphere trumpet. Here is the official description.

The time honored and proven Callet Jazz/Symphonique .470 Expandabore (TM) design, which is in use in major symphonies in Europe and the US, as well as by jazz soloists, section players, lead players, is a testament to the incredible versatility of the instrument.

Even with this versatility, the Jazz/Symphonique Expandabore .470 feels too open to some players, particularly if they are used to the resistance of conventional ML trumpets. The .470 Jazz/Symphonique does have more resistance than some larger bore style horns. For example: MF Horns, X3, X4 Schilkes, WT's with #1 slide, etc...

So, the challenge was to create an exceptional trumpet that would appeal to players who wanted more resistance than the Jazz/Symphonique, yet still retain the legendary response, intonation, and superb upper-register slotting.

For a while the Superchops model trumpets fit into this niche by offering more resistance, with unsurpassed upper-register slotting and projection!!! WOW! I have yet to hear a horn that can out project a Callet SuperChops even in outdoor projection tests.

However, there was a perceived problem with these revolutionary horns. The horns projected so well that the "player feedback" was much less than most players were accustomed to hearing. Many players would end up overblowing the SuperChops horns trying to increase the sound feedback that they were used to hearing from the faster flaring bell designs to which their ears had become accustomed.

Needless to say, the overblowing diminished the efficiency potential that these really great horns offered. Perhaps the Mazereau bell design, and the heavy bell design, are too far ahead of their time and will gravitate into the mainstream later in time. I was always amazed that they were not adapted more into the orchestral field, because I have witnessed, in comparison tests, that the SuperChops trumpets yield a darker than expected, pure solid tone, with great projection, that the Blackburn 24 ga ambronze bells achieve.

I also know that the Blackburns differ, in this regard,l and project very well, requiring a different approach to sound projection, very much like the Superchops horns. Perhaps the name Superchops on the horn is too pretentious to be accepted in some musical circles? My personal experience has given me this impression. The Stratosphere trumpet will be replacing the SuperChops trumpet in the Callet line up at this point in time.

The Present: The Callet Stratosphere Bb Trumpet

I feel that the Stratosphere will ultimately fill in the gap for those who desire more of a conventional ML resistance, as far as blow characteristics are concerned. This has proven very true for players who are playing larger diameter/deeper cup trumpet mouthpieces. Yet some of those with a more efficient mouthpiece set-up seem to enjoy the horn, as well.

The Stratosphere has the same bell and leadpipe of the Jazz/Symphonique. This gives the player more feed back than the SuperChops horn, and makes blending and tuning easier.

The significant differences are that the main tuning slide is more squared, and becomes a .460 bore at the bottom leg of the main tuning slide, as opposed to the .470 of the Jazz model. This continues into a .460 valve section, remaining at .460 bore-size through the valve section, into the first inch of the bell tail. The rest of the bell is identical to the Jazz/Symphonique models.

The overall weight of the Stratosphere is an ounce heavier than the Jazz/Symphonique. This, in conjunction with the smaller bore sections, and squared tuning slide, yields a very pleasant, clean, focused sound, with the projection which Callet trumpets are famous for. Additionally, it provides a more familiar resistance, common to conventional ML designs.

Yes, we took the revolutionary original design of the Jazz/Symphonique and developed a horn for the mainstream Medium Large market. A pleasant surprise to many is the excellent upper-register slotting, and upper-register freedom of the Stratosphere, when compared to most of the professional Medium Large horns on the market.

Thank you,

Lee Adams - Callet Trumpets