Callet Stratosphere Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Bruce Lee, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    LeeAdams

The new Callet Stratosphere trumpet
    « Thread started on: 10/09/2003 at 01:21:57 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi all

A lot of folks ask about the specific design of the new Callet Stratosphere trumpet so here is the official description. First a little history!

The time honored and proven Callet Jazz/Symphonique .470 Expandabore design which is in use in major symphonies in Europe and the US as well as jazz soloists, section players, leadplayers is a testament to the incredible versatility of the instrument.

Even with this versatility the Jazz/Symphonique Expandabore .470 feels too open to some players particularly if they are used to the resistance of conventional ML trumpets. Mind you that the .470 Jazz/Symphonique does not commonly have the feel of being excessively free like some players report with some larger bore style horns for example MF Horns, X3, X4 Schilkes WT's with #1 slide etc...
    The Jazz/ Symphonique fit somewhere in the middle in regards to resisitance.

So the challenge was to create an exceptional trumpet that would appeal to players who wanted more resistance than the Jazz/Symphonique .470 yet still retain the legendary response, intonation, and superb upper register slotting.

For a while the SuperChops model trumpets sort of fit into this nitch by giving more resistance with unsurpassed upper register slotting and projection!!! Wow I have yet to hear a horn out project a Callet SuperChops even in outdoor projection tests.
    However here was a sizeable problem with these revolutionary horns. The horns projected so well that the player feed back was much less than most players were accustomed to hearing. So a good many players would end up overblowing the SuperChops horns trying to increase the sound feed back in an effort to make it more like the feed back from faster flaring bell designs that their ears were tuned to.
    Needless to say the overblowing diminished the efficiency potential that these really great horns offered. Perhaps the Masserau bell design and the heavy bell design are too far ahead of their time and will gravitate into the mainstream later down the road. I was always amazed that they were not adopted more in the orchestral field because I have witnessed in comparison testing the SuperChops trumpets yielding a darker than expected pure solid tone with great projection in the way that the Blackburn 24 ga ambronze bells achieve. I also know that the Blackburns are different animals in this regard as well and project very well and require a different approach in playing them efficiently without overblowing due to their excellent outward projection very much like the SuperChops horns.
    I suppose the name SuperChops on the horn is too suspicious sounding in the first place to be accepted in some musical circles. At least my personal experience has given me this impression.
    The Stratosphere trumpet will be replacing the SuperChops trumpet in the Callet line up at this point in time.

O.K now on to the Stratosphere trumpet

I feel that the Stratosphere will ultimately fill in the gap for those who desire more of a conventional ML resistance in the blow. This has proven very true for players who are playing larger diameter and deeper cup mouthpiece configurations. Yet some of those with more efficient mouthpiece set ups seem to enjoy the horn as well.

The Stratosphere has the same bell and leadpipe of the Jazz/Symphonique this aids in giving the player more feed back than the SuperChops horn and makes blending and tuning easier with this enhanced feed back.
    The significant differences are the main tuning slide is more squared and becomes a .460 bore at the bottom leg of the main tuning slide as opposed to the .470 of the bigger brother.
    This continues into a .460 valve section and continues at .460 thru the valve section into the first inch of the bell tail. The rest of the bell is identical to the bigger brother Jazz/ Symphonique.
    The overall weight of the Stratosphere is an ounce heavier than the Jazz/Symphonique which in conjunction with the smaller bore sections and squared tuning slide yields a very pleasant, clean,focus and projection in the sound which Callet trumpets are famous for as well as giving more resistance common to conventional ML designs.

Yes we took the revolutionary original design of the Jazz / Symphonique and developed a horn for the mainstream Medium Large market.
    A pleasant surprise to many is the excellent upper register slotting and upper register freedom of the Stratosphere compared to most Medium Large horns on the market.

Try this horn at the up coming Northern Brass Trumpet fests and register for a free Callet Jazz to be given away at Christmas. Let me know if you learned about Callet trumpets from this site so Bruce will get the credit for his work moderating this site and working this territory

As always 404-316-4072

Lee Adams
    « Last Edit: 10/09/2003 at 03:08:45 by LeeAdams »

2. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    BruceLee

Re: The new Callet Stratosphere trumpet
    « Reply #1 on: 10/09/2003 at 08:44:38 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks for that great input, Lee!

You covered it all VERY well!

Best to ya, Man!
    Bruce

Callet Trumpets
    Eclipse Trumpets
    Lawler Trumpets
    GR Technologies/Northern Brass mpc's
    http://www.northernbrass.com
    603-421-9178

3. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    nowherenearadouble

« Reply #2 on: 10/09/2003 at 15:40:55 »

Where is the extra weight in the Strat?
    Alan

4. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    nowherenearadouble

« Reply #3 on: 10/09/2003 at 17:44:55 »

Shame the Superchops trumpet is no more. Man its loud!!! I played a lead gig recently and the saxes kept complainin! My main horn is the Jazz tho, what an instrument! I have 17 trumpets includig a Lawler, WT, Schilke x3, LA and Burbank Benges. The Jazz, in my opinion is so far ahead of the rest as far as sound and intonation is concerned. The Superchops projection has to be experienced. Words cannot describe the power in this instrument!
    Anyway the next addition is definitly a Callet Stratosphere. Soon!
    Alan

5. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    LeeAdams

« Reply #4 on: 10/11/2003 at 01:05:25 »

on 10/09/2003 at 15:40:55, nowherenearadouble wrote:Where is the extra weight in the Strat?
    Alan

Hi

The extra weight occurs in 2 areas. The .460 diameter pistons are .010 thicker thru the ports and this causes a weight gain of 6 tenths of an ounce all three pistons combined and the main tuning slide bow and bottom leg are a few thousandths thicker tubing and adds a weight gain of 4 tenths of an ounce.

As always [email protected]

Lee Adams 404-316-4072

6. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    brj

« Reply #5 on: 10/11/2003 at 02:18:03 »

Hi Lee
    Will the Stratoshere be available in the UK?
    all the best
    Brian JOnes

7. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    BruceLee

« Reply #6 on: 10/11/2003 at 11:37:59 »

Hi, Brian!

It's looking like Alan nowwherenearadouble... but will be soon could have one of the first, on your side of the pond!

bmi airlines to Boston - £249 return

If I wanted a Stratosphere trumpet, with the value of the £ vs. the $... you do the math, but I think that I'd be packin' my bags.

Best always,
    Bruce

Callet Trumpets
    Eclipse Trumpets
    Lawler Trumpets
    603-421-9178

8. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    brj

« Reply #7 on: 10/11/2003 at 12:21:03 »

Hi Bruce
    Sounds about right
    I'm going to the US for my hols next summer but that is a while away Still, it is something to look forward to.
    all the best
    Brian Jones

9. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    NavyJazzTpt

Navy Trumpet player,BA Jazz Performance From ECU,Working on Masters in Jazz Studies at UNO

« Reply #8 on: 10/15/2003 at 23:57:30 »

I am a trumpet player with Navy Band New Orleans. I tried the new Callet Stratosphere trumpet at the Mobile, AL Trumpet Fest and I really enjoyed it. Great response and all around horn! Later, Matt Leder

Taylor Flugelhorn
    Navy Trumpet Player/UNO Louis Armstrong Quintet Member

10. Bruce Lee

Bruce Lee Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    BruceLee

« Reply #9 on: 10/24/2003 at 07:36:58 »

I just received the Callet Stratosphere trumpet that Lee Adams had promised me, for the Northern Brass Trumpetfest, which will be held next Saturday, November 1st, in Melrose, Massachusetts.

This will be a great opportunity, for all who attend, to try the Callet Stratosphere, or Jazz... hands on, in a Big Band Section. Trent Austin will be giving a clinic on Lead Playing, where you will have the opportunity to sit in a Section, and play any one of the horns on display at the Trumpetfest.

From 2:00 - 2:45 p.m. - The Trent Austin Quartet will perform. Following the performance, Trent will be giving a Jazz Improv Clinic. He is also offering Jazz Improv lessons, at a reduced fee, during the day, on a first-come, first-served basis. Please feel free to contact Trent directly, to pre-register for lessons. [email protected].

Hope to see you there!

Bruce

Callet Trumpets
    Eclipse Trumpets
    Lawler Trumpets