Callet Superchops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by John P, Jul 31, 2006.

1. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I've been doing some reading about the Callet Superchops, or Tongue Controlled Embouchure method. I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about it or if anyone uses it. I'm pretty sure I understand the basic premise of it, but I'd love to learn more about it.

2. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    From what I've read it appears to be a quite effective method for optimizing your high range at the cost of degrading one's intonation, tone and flexibility.

3. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I don't know a thing about it, except that NickD has been talking about using a variation of it, and he ain't no slouch! I've been thinking about messing around with it. I wonder if you can keep gigging on a regular embouchure while you work on developing TCE.

4. NickD

NickD Forte User

I hybridize

The way I play is pretty much a hybridization of so many different techniques as to make my thing pretty much that - MY thing. And I'm still learning! Yes, I have all of Callet's books, including his latest, Trumpet Secrets. There are some interesting ideas there. I took the time to call Jerry and talk over his thinking. I caught up with him at his booth at the ITG and we chatted some more. He had one of his protoges there demonstrating stuff. I found the discussions interesting and helpful.

In any case, I've read MANY different books: Gordon, Johnson, Caruso, to name a few, in addition to Callet. I tend to use ideas from each book as well as my own, in thinking things through when I practice.

I'd give Jerry a call and ask him about his ideas. He loves to talk to trumpeters!

FWIIW...

Nick