Calling all female trumpet players out there!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetgirl13, Oct 18, 2010.

1. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    When it comes to female trumpet players and ability issues, I strongly suggest checking out "The Army Blues Jazz Ensemble" on Youtube. Pay very close attention to the lead trumpet...you will be impressed! Her name is Liesl Whitaker. The entire band really swings!

2. trumpetgirl13

trumpetgirl13 New Friend

Oct 6, 2010
    Hamilton
    I know you said it is never appropriate to enter someones sphere like that, but then you kept giving exuses that kinda defends the actions of the men.
    A woman should never be touched when not given permission no matter what she wears. I didn't do anything to invite his behaviour, I had leggings on underneath my skirt. the school did by letting teachers make sexual remarks in front of kids and not getting in trouble for it, the guys thought they could get away with it too... AGAIN, I was one female amoung many 18-20 hormonal men who had no boundries, and I wasn't a strong enough person to turn around and SLAP him in the face, and from previous experience I knew if I complained NOTHING would have happened..

As far as moving up the ranks, I never asked to be moved up, I tech have history with the director but under another band. This band is an amateur level and I play higher than the amateur level - BUT, when a solo comes up and the section leaders asks who wants it I always give the other guys a chance to take it... but they are even giving them to me even know they feel threatened... And it is really only the one guy, the other guys in first told me they wanted me there so that they could take some breaks, and rest for the higher notes as they don't have the endurance.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    TG13,
    it is always really tough to address anything like this. Believe me, I am not making any excuses for the men. On the other hand, when history repeats itself a mirror can often be as handy as a strong right arm. In the various manager courses that I have attended, we learned a whole lot about the messages that we unknowingly send. That gives our adversaries an unnecessary edge.

America has learned a lot about sexual abuse and has taken a lot of steps to provide help at all levels. We currently have a rape charge going through the press here in Germany. The reporting makes a neutral opinion almost impossible. There is no evidence so it is dependent on who is more "believable".

As I said, moving up is the conductors thing. It doesn't even have to be a gender issue. There are hundreds of posts here about players that are disappointed in such issues. It is impossible to take a side because we only know one view.

In any case, becoming stronger and more aware is the solution. You seem to be on a good path.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Not pleasant, but has she shaped your attitude - yes, has her action shaped your development - yes, have you advanced because of (or in spite of) those comments and actions - yes. So, who's the loser - certainly not you two - well done for rising to the challenge, intentional or not. Remember, knowing 'failure' makes us stronger. :dontknow:

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Oh ..... BTW, I love having female players in our band - they smell so nice ;-).

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    I again refer you to The Army Blue's Jazz Ensemble. The lead trumpet happens to be a female, Liesl Whitaker. I seriously doubt that Ms. Whitaker has gone on public forums to complain about her treatment. I am certain that she has busted her rear end to be better than the competition.
    Perhaps a few people here could learn a lesson by the example set by Ms. Whitaker.

Nuf sed?

7. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Gee, I think it's not only brave of TG13 to tell us her bad experiences in here, it's interesting and informative too. Good for you, TG, to bring up a topic that is not easy, and doesn't have any gearhead components (like, they would have treated you better if you'd have had a Bach .... just kidding!).

Turtle

8. trumpetgirl13

trumpetgirl13 New Friend

Oct 6, 2010
    Hamilton
    Thanks Turtle! I really appreciate it.... This post was meant for females to discuss their experiences wether they were good or bad. I was not looking to learn a lesson, believe me I have learned MANY in my life, but mostly in my trumpet playing experience....
    I know there are successful female trumpet players out there, and I appreciate all the hard work they have put in their craft. I have put a lot of hard work in as well.......

I don't know even where to start answering some of these posts.....

Luckily I am around people that listen to me play as apposed to looking at me first and I feel like I am in an environment where I can flurish.

PS: I have a BACH ;o)

9. trumpetgirl13

trumpetgirl13 New Friend

Oct 6, 2010
    Hamilton

WOW is all I have to say......

10. Trumpet Dreamer

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    While some may consider this brave, others can easily frame this as nothing more than public whining, especially when it is done ad-nauseam.