Calling all female trumpet players out there!

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetgirl13, Oct 18, 2010.

1. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Lianne, I think this is a better link for Andrea Linborg than the one you have on your web site listing: The Kona Brass - Andrea Lindborg, Trumpet
    (Actually your link does not give me Andrea at all but to Helena Moss-Jack.)

Susan Slaughter of the St. Louis Sym. https://www.slso.org/musicians/bios/bio-susan-slaughter.htm

p.s. glad you got Leisl Whitaker on your list. She has really broken several barriers and is in a class all by herself.

That's a good list. I've spent a bunch of time with it and I couldn't come up with any additions.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    When I was in high school (80-83) - the only person who sat 1st chair for all 4 years, and was called on to "demonstrate" a passage for the rest of the trumpet players - was Patty S.--- and she was probably the best "technical" trumpet player that I have ever met.
    She had utmost respect from everyone in the trumpet section (if nothing else -- she was better than the best guy anyhow) -- and was held in high esteem by our band director (but he was only a trombone player -- very gifted, but a trombone player -- ROFL ROFL)
    YES -- Patty ruled the trumpet section -- and FYI was only 1 of 2 women in the horn section. Both were respected. Both were very good at the trumpet.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Here is one that really needs to be on your list.
    ‪Gunhild Carling plays three trumpets at the same time‬‏ - YouTube
    She is the most entertaining of them all.

P.S. There are two female trumpet players in the symphonic band where I play and they are held in high regard.

P.P.S. I live across the street from a middle school. I watch the marching band practice. One of the sousaphone players is a 8th grade girls who is barely 4'6" and she plays the heck out of that thing.

4. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    This is very inspiring. Perhaps someone will create a website dedicated to male trumpet players.

turtlejimmy likes this.
  5. Lianne Viera

Lianne Viera New Friend

Jul 20, 2011

Thanks for your feedback. I just fixed the link to Andrea Lindborg. since I started this several years ago, and decided to finish it or at least go live, many links changed thus I had approx 180to fix. I prob copied and pasted the wrong link by mistake. Thanks for pointing out Susan Slaughter too. I do know of her and couldn't believe I left her off! Big oversight.

Since I last posted which was my first post, i have found another 100 more!
    So definitely no rest for me!

6. Lianne Viera

Lianne Viera New Friend

Jul 20, 2011
    How wicked is she. Thanks heaps, I have now added Gunhild to my site.

7. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I'm glad you included Bria Skonberg. She's young and a very imaginative soloist. There's a great deal of Louis in her playing.

She also plays a Selmer Radial.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    OH - I forgot -- I'm kingtrumpet -- feel free to PM me anytime -- after all I looked at the thread title -- ROFL ROFL ROFL

9. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    KT, that little admisson answers just so many questions :-P.