Calling all Music Elitist

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jason_boddie, May 14, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    mine cant distinguish flugel from trumpet, ah women

2. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    Thank you to all who took my post as intended, a JOKE.

3. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Problem is, if your mind is too open, people will dump their trash in it;-)

I'm a total elitist jerk when it comes to music, that's the way I like it :cool:.

I've heard region conservatory students (who are usually in high school)singing in free venues who would bury any and all Am.Id. contestants to date in a heap of shame.:roll:
    I can't watch the friggin' thing for more than 30 s at a time, the stupid hype drives me nuts. The pale copy of it that they spewed out on French TV is every bit as bad.

4. Jay-Eye

Jay-Eye New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Sunny Birmingham, UK
    I wish my Missus would call me a Musical Elitist - she knows me too well for that! ;0)

I'll listen to almost anything live, I just like music. Life's too short to waste too much time on recorded mediocre stuff though. I like the early episodes of these X Factor/Got Talent/Idol shows where they wheel in the talentless tone deaf strange people. Now that IS entertainment! Once the fun's over and the funnies are weeded out I stop watching. I'd rather go practice my trumpet/ukulele/harmonica or whatever.

5. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    I seem to have a different definition of elitist:
    In music it is hard to find someone who "really" likes a broad spectrum of music.

6. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I have a broad spectrum. I like some of the Renaisance music. I like baroque, classical and romantic music. I like the more modern stuff too, so long as it is tonal; dodecaphonic and, in general, atonal music are too esoteric for me, but I'm sure the more educated enjoy it.

I like New-Orleans Jazz, big band, swing, be-bop and hard bop, and electric jazz too. I love Gipsy jazz. I like most of Coltrane's music and almost all of Miles'. I don't care much for free Jazz and John Birks G. was the coolest cat ever.

I like Cuban folk music, Afro-Cuban jazz, Salsa, Bossa and Calypso. I like Jazz-rock, fusion and even some funk. Heck I'll even like West-Coast Jazz if played by good and sincere artists.

I enjoy the polyphonic chants of the Pygmies as well as other traditional musics. I like some of Fela Kuti's music and his son Femi isn't bad. Throw in some Afro-beat and Afro Jazz too, why not?

I have grown tired of Rock but still enjoy quite a bit of the pop stuff that was around when I was young. Early Pink Floyd comes to mind, or the fantastic alternate rock French group called Ange.

In summary, I can say that I will recognize (and, usually, will like) virtually any quality work in music. Quality is easy to hear. It's almost the first thing you hear, in fact. It is produced by musicians who have polished their skills, over and over again, because they are possessed by a drive. The drive to make it sound just like they have imagined it. Or just like they have heard it played by others and found it awesome. It requires that they become good, regardless of their theoretical knowledge, style, instrument. It's not easy to do, even for the most gifted. It involves patience and work, and the will to do something truly, intrisically good. When music is driven by that kind of vision and there has been work to try to reach it, it shows. It will be good music, or at least a pretty good try.

I can not tolerate hyped up mediocrity relying on thechnology to hide the deficiencies of those trying to dress as artists, but who have done just enough of the real work so that they can present a thin facade:evil:. I can not relate at all with people who equate musical success with number of hits on YouTube or even number of albums sold. I can not be interested in music presented as a race to celebrity:thumbdown:. I want to hear what comes from the quest for that magical thing that gets even the most modest of us to go back to practice the horn again and again, until we get that special moment.

Phew, guess I had to have that of my chest. Feel better now:-P

7. SFPat

SFPat Pianissimo User

Sep 20, 2009
    Houston
    American Idol????? Haven't watched it since the local girl made good (Carrie Underwood), and then it was only because she was local. Then again, I rarely watch any "network" TV.

The criteria I set for my daughters was that if it could be played on a piano, we could listen to it (eliminated most rap and hip hop).

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I think the point is clear. Your wife is not interested in your opinion of "entertainment" or pride when performing. She is not alone. My wife also is not always interested in my "analysis" especially when she is being in her opinion "adequately" entertained.

The message for us is that we should not try to evangelize them for "our" cause. I do watch the german version of "American Idol" (Deutschland sucht den Superstar) with my wife and ask her opinion of who was better that night without offering my opinion. She on occasion asks me what I think. I usually answer that it doesn't matter, the one that I like (the lovely lady in the jury) doesn't win anyway.................

I think that maintaining communication with the spouse is more significant than winning a discussion about true musical values.

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Phil sez:
    I have grown tired of Rock but still enjoy quite a bit of the pop stuff that was around when I was young. Early Pink Floyd comes to mind,
    ---------------------
    Allow me to recommend a rock band I think you'll like...Porcupine Tree

10. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Sounds inviting Markie, I'll check it out.

I guess I'm fortunate, my significant other does not have a TV. Mine is used only for DVDs or streaming movies from Netflix, I don't have cable and not planning on getting it.