Calling All Teachers, Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by estarnes, Mar 9, 2009.

1. estarnes

estarnes New Friend

Dec 16, 2008
    Hey everybody,

I was hoping for some help from some trumpet professors, private lesson instructors, etc.

In my high brass techniques class, i am writing a paper on student trumpets for beginners and intermediate players. Anyone have any suggestions on brands, models, etc?

I know my way around professional models but I am a little reluctant to say i know what i am talking about in this regard.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks,
    Eric

2. guitarsrmine

guitarsrmine Piano User

Dec 29, 2008
    Franklin, Pa
    I personally suggest you check out the Jupiter JTR-600 student horn. I am a "comeback" player, having been away for 25 years. I am laid off, so I was on a limited budget, but after trying a bunch of horns, I bought the Jupiter. The fit and finish are great, and its solid plus sounds great.I narrowed it down to a Bach student trumpet and the Jupiter, and to me, the Jupiter was a better"fit" all the way around, so I got ti. But, there are plenty to pick from.:play:

3. Pete

Pete Piano User

Nov 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    Hi Eric,

Here you go:

Stomvi Forte - Intermediate, but plays like a pro horn
    Yamaha 2335, 4335, 5335- very consistent
    Olds Ambassador - vintage horns, excellent
    Holton MF ST550- plays better than a beginner horn with pro features
    Bundy- vintage Selmer product
    Getzen 700- Intermediate horn, also play more like pro horns
    Conn 16B- Vintage horn, very good

Just to name a few!

Pete

4. samdaman

samdaman Pianissimo User

Jun 15, 2006
    Baltimore, MD
  5. Amir

Amir New Friend

Mar 7, 2009
    Israel
    The JTR-600m was my first horn, and it is a really nice horn, especially compared to other trumpets in the same price tag. It has served me well for four or five years, and if I wasnt such a spoiled kid it could have stayed with me for another year or two.

6. Rushtucky

Rushtucky Pianissimo User

Sep 15, 2008
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    As a recommendation, I point my students to Bach, of course. However, there are other manufacturers that make good entry level trumpets:

Bach PreludeTR700(least expensive entry level)
    Bach TR300(most suggested beginner trumpet)

King 603
    Yamaha 2321

And of course the mouthpiece: Bach 7C (pretty much standard in most bands)

Now the differences. Beginner trumpets are mass produced and designed to keep manufacturing costs down. The beginner tumpet was developed to be produced inexpensively, to be durable (band students are very hard on instruments) and produce a satisfactory tone rather than quality tone and intonation.

The Intermediate Trumpet like the Bach TR200, is more of a marketing ploy than a distinct upgrade in quality in the instrument. Many are silver plated (I prefer brass) have fixed third valve slide rings, first valve hooks and an upgrade in cases. But they play and react the same as a beginner trumpet.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your paper.

7. andy-rockstar

andy-rockstar Pianissimo User

Jan 6, 2009
    Anchorage, AK
    Like many a once-upon-a-time beginner, I started on a Bundy.

And it goes without saying, you didn't start out as a pro, so what did you first play on? Do you remember what anyone else around you at that time played? I'd imagine you could walk in on a junior high/high school band class and see what those kids are playing, and if you need a larger sample, visit multiple schools (preferably ones who use different music shops to rent/purchase instruments) to get a more representative sample. If every student in a class of 20 buys/rents their horns from the same place, then they stand a chance of all having similar instruments.

8. treedup

treedup New Friend

Jan 2, 2009
    Red Hill, Pennsylvania
    I have an F Besson International. It was sold to me as a "Pro" model, however, I would believe it's more intermediate-level. I, too, had a limited budget so I bought this horn - so far, it's treated me well.

9. JoeyDiLemma

JoeyDiLemma New Friend

Mar 12, 2009
    hamburg, germany
    hey eric,

there are lots of horns outside to have fun with...such as conn 16b and olds ambassador. both are excellent trumpets - able to get with a small budget.

sunny day
    joey