Calling all Xeno players

Discussion in 'Horns' started by miles71, Feb 23, 2005.

1. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Ok, I play a 8335RGS and like the horn, but would like to have some tweeks. I would like a more open feel, more resonance, and a more open upper register. I presently play in a band with a section of Bachs, Schilke, and a Bel Canto. I feel like I have to push to hard to "fit in" with the section. I dont think the tone is bad, but would like an easier feel. In big band lead stuff I have no problem getting over a band, but want a more open upper register (above high C).

I have emailed Charlie Melk about a rounded slide and gap adjustment, but he doesnt seem to be sure it will help. Of course he hasnt seen the horn yet. I just dont want to put the time and money into this horn If there are no tweeks to make it better. I like the horn but.............

Anyone had this problem? Did you find a solution? Thanks.

2. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    I had the same problem with my Xeno C, but in my case the problem was how I was playing, not the horn.

3. Bugler997

Bugler997 Pianissimo User

Mar 22, 2005
    VA
    I didn't really like the 16C4-GP, the mouthpiece that came with the horn, at all. It was basically like a Bach 1 1/2 C, but worse. If you are using that, maybe change your mouthpiece.

Now, I play on Monette Prana 2, and love those, but of course you may not be into those.

4. miles71

miles71 Mezzo Piano User

Nov 8, 2004
    Maryland
    Just an update. I have made peace with the Xeno and have recently gotten it a new friend, a 8445G C Xeno. Both of them play wonderfully and after talking to Bob Malone recently I am lookign forward to the new horns coming down the pipe from Yamaha.

I am using GR tech pieces.