Can a Person Effectively Teach Themselves?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, May 29, 2015.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I'm thinking the same, Sethoflagos. I'm reminded of the adage: "A man who is his own lawyer has a fool for a client."

Sethoflagos likes this.
  2. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    DIY and finding a teacher are both double edged swords. DIY can lead to a lot of bad habits that a teacher might spot and correct early on, but you can save a lot in teacher fees. Having a professional do it can lead to a professional that thinks they know everything and there is only one way to do it. A bit off topic, but, My roof was put on by a roofer who thought he knew everything about shingles, and they started falling off the one section. His comment "they are defective shingles" and he refused to acknowledge that he failed to follow the Mfg's recommendations on how to install the shingles on my roof. The same can apply to a music teacher, if they are married to a particular style of playing and everything else is wrong. The right teacher for you is the one who will teach you what you need to know to play the type of music that you want to play, not what they want you to play. When I was young I took piano lessons, I preferred classical music, but my teacher didn't stress what I needed to practice for that style of music. I think now that my father put down some restrictions on what exercises she was allowed to teach me.

3. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I believe the path of least resistance is the default mode for most humans. This means, left to our own devices, we tend to practice what we like to play and quickly ignore the rest, even though it is to our detriment.

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    True dat!

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    That is not default of me. My middle name is Resistance. Damn my Mother for giving me such crazy names!

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I know a lot of self taught singers!! :roll:

7. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    My middle name is Art.

8. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.

I would suggest that this also applies to the teacher student dynamic, in that the teacher will move in the direction that is easiest for them and the student. However in my case I believe there were other factors involved that prevented my piano teacher from encouraging me to practice what I needed to know for the genera of music I preferred. When learning the Cornet it was in the public school setting, in a group lesson, and it was one size fits all, and the teacher was less concerned with the average student, than with the really gifted one, that would make them look good.

9. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    My middle name is G, (initial only) which is rather unique.

10. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    A professional teacher can hear and see things that an amateur can not.