Can a Person Effectively Teach Themselves?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, May 29, 2015.

1. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    And, no, they are not hallucinations.....

2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Du-u-u-ude , Wouldn't that depend on the teacher. :cool:

3. LaTrompeta

LaTrompeta Forte User

May 3, 2015
    Colorado Springs
    My case in point is that most students never realize that they don't play in the center of the pitch until an instructor points it out to them. It doesn't how much they listen to great music; you need someone who is better to listen to and critique your own playing.

4. breakup

breakup Mezzo Piano User

Jun 19, 2015
    Central Pa.
    And what they were smoking.

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    These guys were largely self-taught, and while they had some great concerts, they also had some that weren't so great.

[​IMG]

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    D-u-u-u-u-u-ude, I'd have to get stoned to see what that says!!!

7. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Cat Anderson:

How High is High?
    That's something I really can't say. Right now it's three C's above the staff. But as time goes on I'm sure the bounds will be broken. During a clinic the other day I made the most beautiful third C above the staff. I stopped in the middle. I couldn't go any further - I was so happy. To play high note trumpet you must have talent - and you must be taught. My teachers could only go so far. But I was always asking questions - over and over. At the time I didn't realize it, but as an orphan I was reaching out for love. I wanted to be understood - heard - have someone love me. It's the same thing for any trumpet player. He wants to better his ways, better his position and better his playing.
    Youngsters today must have good teaching. There is so much for them to know today. Anyone can play high notes if he tries and studies. But they must be careful not to hurt themselves. Fighting that horn is a losing battle. One day the lip will be paralyzed - there will be no sound coming from the horn. I can happen. The young trumpet player should ask questions - seek information. Before I play I always do warmups 'til I'm ready. You can't fight the horn and expect to win. Treat it like a baby - take it in your arms and pat it. Say things to it, and it will say things to you. You have to play with a healthy attitude or it doesn't materialize.

Just for the record.