Can a Person Effectively Teach Themselves?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trickg, May 29, 2015.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Franklin, something else to mention here is that in general, personal attacks or attacks on someone's character are considered bad form. The comment I made above (the one regarding an observation that many people are followers - often times referred to as "sheeple" for their herd-like mentality) was not directed at anyone in particular. You and Dan on the other hand have either directly or indirectly ("I don't read your posts anymore. Sorry") attacked me as a person, which is just a bit hurtful considering that otherwise there has been some great discussion in the thread.

I've never said that an instructor can't be helpful or beneficial - I've simple challenged the idea that an instructor is absolutely necessary to become an effective player. Some people genuinely believe that to be true, and they have given a lot of valid points regarding the benefit of a private instructor.

2. dangeorges

dangeorges Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2010
    trickg:
    From my perspective, you're the one who's doing the attacking. You post a question (and yes, of course I read the first post - you missed my sarcasm), and others provide their answers and opinions.

You then proceed to tear apart each opinion that you don't agree with.

If you don't want responses that might be contrary to your own opinions, why even start a thread?

3. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Dan, there's absolutely nothing wrong in a discussion of this sort to offer a rebuttal to an opinion where there is some room for debate. Again, I've not attacked anyone personally, I've simply countered to add to the discussion and continue to expand upon the ideas being proffered. That's not attacking.

My goodness, do we all have to take everything so seriously? Ivan poked fun at me in another thread, (not an attack on me, but referencing this thread and the idea of self-learning) and I actually laughed about it.

4. dangeorges

Oct 20, 2010
    The following don't sound like rebuttals to me. They appear a bit on the hostile and confrontational side:

"Did you even bother to read the first post of the thread? In the very first post, I stated:..."

"It's my thread - thanks for participating, although it would be at least somewhat helpful if you took the time to read the original post. Everything you mentioned about learning how to play - utilizing tools such as listening to recordings, recording yourself and critically listening to yourself on playback etc, - that was all covered in the first post.

I'm sorry if my posts are so pedestrian that you no longer read them. And here I thought I added some straightforward, pragmatic thoughts about trumpet playing into the mix."

"I think you have misread something somewhere - seems to be an issue. I don't think I ever said anything about hiring a private tutor via online lessons. It defeats the purpose of what we're exploring in the thread. There are a lot of resources available online in the form of forums, articles, videos, etc - all of which can be done without hiring a teacher and partaking in Skype lessons.

And you might be right - I have such an issue with authority that I spent my first 10 years outside of high school as a soldier in the US Army, did 4 years worth of Army National Guard, and after taking a 10 year hiatus, I'm back in the Army National Guard again. (All of this activity is with various Army bands) If I had such an issue with authority, I'd never subject myself to being in the military at all."

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Nice - you choose to point out my responses to the times where I got blindsided by another poster, (specifically you and FranklinD) and yet managed to mostly stay on track to the topic of the original post, or directly addressed things that were already addressed or discussed in the thread that were apparently missed by the poster who decided to take me to task. I addressed FranklinD's attack on my character in the last tidbit you quoted - I didn't think it was too out of line considering what was posted in my direction.

If you'll go back through the rest of the thread where the actual topic of the thread is being discussed, you'll find that I'm more than open minded regarding the discussion.

6. dangeorges

Oct 20, 2010

trickg: you make it sound like people are out to get you, using words like "blindsided" and addressing "attacks." I posted an opinion, based on your OP. You didn't like it and responded with a terse, "beat him down" attitude, and I stooped to your level with a sarcastic reply.

When you treat people like you're treating them in your "rebuttals," you should expect to piss people off. Especially when they only want to contribute to the topic with opinions.

If you don't like what someone has to say, that's fine. But please don't start discussions just to berate those whose opinions differ from yours. People are bound to have opinions contrary to your own. But that's no reason to tear them down and start on-line "flame" wars that went out with IRC.

7. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    dangeorges: I responded as I did because your post didn't relate to the discussion in its context at the time - either you didn't read the original post, or chose to ignore it altogether. Either way, it was way off track from the original idea and discussion at hand - I pointed that out and you apparently got butt-hurt about it. Sorry.

I'm good with differing opinions - happens all the time, and I'm always willing to consider any well-constructed argument that is on the topic being discussed. I've even been known to change my position on occasion because someone presented something in a way I hadn't considered before.

There has been a lot of great discussion in this thread, and many have contributed, both for an against the ideas that have been presented. I don't know why you and FranklinD decided to take things much more seriously than intended.

8. dangeorges

Oct 20, 2010
    Can a Person Effectively Teach Themselves?

My response addressed that. Not sure how you're getting the idea that it didn't relate to that discussion point.
    Again - it seems that you're not satisfied with any response until you've beaten the poster down to the point of acceptance.
    I regret even posting my opinion.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    You know what? You're absolutely right. My apologies.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Somewhere and at sometime along the way, I've seen, listened, and read music along with teachers, tutor and professor and consequently a few states have provided me a certificate to teach instrumental music along with some other subjects. IMO and in the most simplest terms to understand is, all that and around $2.00 will buy me a decent cup of coffee.

It still takes a self dedication to practice and learn to play myriad genres of music to reach a skill level where we can honestly tell ourselves that we are accomplished musicians. Not one of those other persons can do such for you. It's an infinite continuum teaching yourself to do what needs to be done.

Too, it's really difficult for trumpeters to focus on their parts without knowing and understanding all the other instrument parts. Early on, I recognized this and was lucky enough to often practice/play along with my Mother's piano accompaniment and too I learned to play lower brass instruments also.

I still won't say I've attained any ultimate achievement, but I enjoy what I still can do even beyond adversity.

Peter McNeill likes this.