Can a Ram's Horn be fixed? If so, how?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Yehuda Cohen, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Yehuda Cohen

Yehuda Cohen New Friend

Sep 8, 2008
    For years I have been playing a Ram's Horn and it is getting harder to play all the time. I think that the insides of the Ram's Horn is being eaten away by my saliva.

My first impression for a fix is to redrill the Ram's Horn with a slighly bigger drill bit and then coat it with a clear nail polish hardener. Is there anything else that's clear and harder than nail polish?

Is there anyone here who knows how to fix Ram's Horns and if this condition that I described can be fixed?

Thanks for any help.

Yehuda

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Clear epoxy has about the same consistency as the rams horn, so you could rebuild it. It is impervious to wet, acid and a bunch of other stuff.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  4. Yehuda Cohen

Yehuda Cohen New Friend

Sep 8, 2008
    Thank you for the link and for everyones help.

The above link deals with the Shofar with a hole in the side whereas the hole I'm concerned with is the drilled hole from which the notes are made. Although as the above link states, no foreign materials can be intered in the Shofar for they make it invalid.

Does anybody know a person with the log in name of BbTrumpet? I was told that he has worked on Ram horns.

Thanks again for your help but it looks like I reaching a dead end on this endeavor.

Yehuda

5. dstrad

dstrad Pianissimo User

Oct 20, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have a Yemenite shofar made from the horn of a Kudu (African Antelope) Check out this website Shofar Sounders Shofar Sounders WebPage The gentleman who maintains the site Art Finkle is an expert shofar blower and it is a very informative site. I believe there is a section regarding repair. I think it is almost impossible to repai certain types of damage. Also, while epoxy might work I do not believe that you can use a foreign substance and still have the shofar remain kosher.

Good luck!