Can a step up horn step up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tim Nelson, May 27, 2014.

1. Tim Nelson

Tim Nelson New Friend

May 23, 2014
    Might I be side loading the valves? Oh yes that's very possible. Broke my right wrist twice in the last two winters and kept playing while it was in a cast. My tech also thought it might be the ultra fine nylon bristles of a HM brass saver brush had possibly lodged between the pistons and their casings.
    Does the valve leak definitely. Plug the horn and blow first slide starts to extend itself.
    Can't help but wonder if the horn is worth the some of its parts or if I'd be better served with a better horn.

2. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Sounds like the valve slide is loose! Unless you mean "the slide extends itself even if the valve isn't depressed"...

Still, it is worth having a tech see it...

3. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    That isn't how you test valve compression. Also, leaking valves and sticking valves are two different things. You need a tech.

4. Tim Nelson

Tim Nelson New Friend

May 23, 2014
    Think about it . The valve is not depressed. Pressure in the horn is finding its way to the slide and pushing it out. It's getting around the closed valve.

5. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    I don't need to think about it. Valves are tight, but not fully air tight, if you blow hard enough every valve (even brand new ones) will leak enough to extend a slide. A qualified tech can uses pressure gauges or years of experience to say how much leakage is acceptable. You blowing (how hard we do not know) and having a slide move only tells me that your first slide moves easily. Nothing else.

6. Tim Nelson

Tim Nelson New Friend

May 23, 2014
    Exactly the valve is not depressed. But back to the main question. I know that pro trumpets are always being improved apron by top techs Blackburn leadpipes, melk tuning slides and a host of other improvement. All in order to improve the over all horn. I guess the real question is. Is it worth the time and effort to try to bring an intermediate horn up to a better playing level, or will you end up with a student horn with nice plate and tight valves

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Tim,
    opposed to most viewpoints here --- A TRUMPET IS JUST A TRUMPET!!! - don't overthink this, if the horn valves are bad, hang it on a wall, and just go by another horn with good valves ------------ YOU see Tim, I have found the most amazing thing over the past 5 years as a comeback player. ((it's the person playing the trumpet that makes the difference)) --- I can play anything on a Bach 3C mouthpiece and my Student Conn that I started trumpet playing with years ago)) ---- NOW, yes, I have a mpc, and a couple of horns that make this "easier" for me to play!!!! ---- but give me any horn, and I can get the same out of it, it might not be easier, but I can still use any trumpet to achieve the same results ----------------------------------------- then again, I am KINGTRUMPET, and your results may vary!!!! ROFL ROFL ROFL

8. Tim Nelson

Tim Nelson New Friend

May 23, 2014
    Looking for a blow hard? Find a trumpet player.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    In reading down through this thread, I have a thought that immediately comes to mind:

Stop worrying about it and play - you are waaaaaay over thinking the thing with the valve/compression, etc. If it was really, really leaky you might have an issue, but I seriously doubt that you have worked the horn enough to have developed an issue with the valve in just 3 years of playing it, unless you are a professional gigging and practicing every day for hours and hours.

As a side note, that thing about valves on the 65B crapping out is probably more in regard to basic function, i.e., do they move up and down freely, than an issue with compression.

10. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Tim,
    It sounds like you're pretty sure. Possibly check with a tech and see if the valve(s) can be replated. When you get your valves fixed, please take into consideration hand and wrist position.
    I know my recommendation about hand mechanics probably sounds a little silly but I promise that proper hand mechanics will make a difference in:
    Ease of playing
    Performance
    Longevity of the horn
    ---
    Dr.Mark