Can a step up horn step up?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Tim Nelson, May 27, 2014.

1. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Trickg,
    You stated:
    "unless you are a professional gigging and practicing every day for hours and hours."
    ----
    That's pretty much my routine and my valves are fine and the horn is over a decade old.
    Dr.Mark

2. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    You have had some valuable suggestions. Let someone skilled in the art inspect (you and) your trumpet.

3. Tim Nelson

Tim Nelson New Friend

May 23, 2014
    Thanks Ivan I hoped I'd see your smilin face

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I need a new photo;-);-);-)

5. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    And that's kind of the point I was making - a lot of players, and more to the point, hobbyist and comeback players - will over-think the gear aspect of their playing efforts. Don't get me wrong, tinkering with gear can be a lot of fun, but at the end of the day, horns of decent quality are more similar than different, and as long as there isn't anything blatantly wrong with the horn - and by that I mean popped solder joints, obvious air leaks, valves that chronically stick, etc - most of the time it's not going to matter too much, and the time would be better spent thinking about ways to get a better sound, cleaner articulation, easier flexibility, or more musical phrasing, than in worrying about something that probably isn't making much of a difference at all.

In my time playing and gigging, I've given very little thought to how tight my valves are or were on the various horns I have used, and typically I spend a good 10 years or more on a horn before I make any kind of a change. I've got 9 years on my Schilke B6. Aside from a valve alignment that I probably didn't actually "need," I've never had a single bit of work done on the valves, nor do I intend to unless one of them starts sticking. I've been the same way with every horn I've ever owned - I just play.

6. Dr.Mark

Dr.Mark Mezzo Forte User

Apr 5, 2011
    Hi Trickg,
    You stated:
    "will over-think the gear aspect of their playing efforts."
    ---
    The thing that I've noticed is that when the playing becomes difficult for the inexperienced player, they will tighten their hands and arms. This kinda makes normal sense because when we become frightened, scared, threatened, or unsure as to how something goes, we tighten up and one of the first things to tighten is our hands especially when we have something in them like a trumpet.
    For example: Have you ever written when you were pressed for time or pissed. I don't know about you but I've broken many a pencil lead under those conditions and, have you ever read the writing of someone that's pissed? It shows in the handwriting.
    Also, I totally agree that sometimes thinking about equipment can get in the way of playing.
    Dr.Mark

7. Tim Nelson

Tim Nelson New Friend

May 23, 2014
    Thanks trick I just thought I'd ask you guys before I go bother Charlie. Yes the valve some times drags and I have never had any problems with my other horn. I didn't pay much for the cornet. So I was trying to decide if there was an issue, would I be willing get it fixed or would the money be better spent towards a new cornet . If that's the case why waste Charlie's time.

8. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I personally can't say about if it's worth getting fixed. The King cornet "lineage" is something like:
    - 603 student cornet, long model
    - 604 student cornet, shepherd's crook - discontinued [603 with shepherd's crook bell - identical to Conn 34A Victor]
    - 605 intermediate, British style, shepherd's crook
    - 2220 Legend professional cornet, British style, shepherd's crook

King Cornets - Band Instruments - Conn-Selmer, Inc.

9. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I believe that any horn that you intend to ever play is worth fixing. The valve dragging can be due to a number of different things - there could be some sludge on the valve, or it might need to be lightly lapped and polished - both issues can be rectified easily and quickly. Otherwise, don't worry about air leaks and that kind of thing - it's most likely not going to matter enough to even worry about.