Can an old man start with a Bach 1 1/2C mouthpiece?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by oldsben, Oct 30, 2008.

Tags:
  1. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    I'm new to trumpet. I'm also old to start learning trumpet, a middle age man ^_^.

I got myself a 1959 olds ambassador trumpet to start 2 weeks ago along with my daughter. I have an olds 3 to statrt. And it seemed the mouthpiece is small for me. My lips can't move freely. I'm learning it just for fun, so I'd like to get a bigger mouthpiece say Bach 1 1/2C. Will that be difficult for me to play?

2. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    Woops! Please don't reply on this one. It is an extra. I can't delete it.

3. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    well, i suggest you get a 3C, the 1 1/2C is considered large and you will have trouble getting the higher notes as you progress

4. Richard Oliver

Richard Oliver Forte User

Jul 18, 2006
    Casper, WY
    Ben, welcome to the horn! If you want to use a 1.5C, go for it! Have fun.

If there's a music store nearby, and they have a junk mouthpiece drawer pull out a bunch and have at it.

Here's a link worth noting:

Forum: trumpetherald.com

A very good friend of mine, a hobby like us, uses a 1.5C very happily. I use a 3'ish very happily. To each their own. Best player I knew well used a 10.5C. Go figure.

Enjoy the horn and happy tooting!

5. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Find an OLDS 7c vintage if you can. Very good playing characterictics and the MP of choice for this old guy (66). Fellow members OLDLOU and Mrmusicnotes love them also. I also have an Olds 3, which is ok, but doesn't have the low range resonance that the 7c has. Another one, my cornet Al HIrt Jet tone has a lot of lip room, also my Merien C Jet tone tumpet MP (close 2nd choice to the Olds).

Try a bunch, as everyone says, we are all different and it takes a while to determine if one or another MP is the best for you. First impressions can be mis-leading once the "differences" wear off, as I have found in my MP safari's .;-)

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    It's like finding a glove. Just get one that fits and who cares what number it is.

7. mrmusicnotes

mrmusicnotes Piano User

Nov 11, 2007
    N.Y.C.
    Hi oldsben,A 1 1/2c is really not a recommended mouthpiece for a beginner.Its usually played by experienced players that developed a strong embrosure over time.The 7c is kind of the standard of beginner mouthpieces and a lot of student level horns come with one.I think you my be right in your assumption of the olds 3c, its quite small and may not be good for you.I really don"t think going to a music store and trying a bunch of different mouthpieces is a good thing with only 2 weeks of playing experience under your belt.Bach makes a great inexpensive mouthpiece and is a good choice for any player.Try the bach 3c and 7c and see which one feels best.You may not be able to tell the difference since there pretty similar.Good Luck.Hi Dave aka MFFAN,Still playing the Olds 7c along with my olds 3c for lead and my bach 1 1/2c for classical and ballads.Probably use it for 80% of my playing.Thanks again for the recommendation.

8. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I probably shouldn't ask this but here it is anyway.

What if he tries a 1 1/2 C and it works? Should he not use it because it's meant for more experienced players? What if he goes to one of the others you recommended and they feel small? Should he use them anyway?

9. oldsben

oldsben Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2008
    California
    Thanks for those recommendations! I actually got a Bach 2C. I do feel the pitch is lower but it doesn't bother me too much. It feels more comfortable than the Olds 3. I also got a Besson 7C cause I switched my horn to a Besson 609 recently. The olds ambassador I had was leaking air and out of tune, so I sold it to my local store with good money.

Since I don't have too much experience so I'll just use the 2C/7C for a while and see which one I like best.

Happy thanksgiving!

Oldsben

10. sonicgeo2

sonicgeo2 Pianissimo User

Interesting! I've never tried a 2C before... but I agree with what was said earlier. If possible, try the mouthpieces out "blindly," so you choose completely by feel. That's what my teacher did, and it's worked great for the last 3 years! :play: