Can anyone compare GR Fatboy with Megatone???

Discussion in 'Mouthpieces / Mutes / Other' started by drac, Jul 13, 2004.

1. drac

drac Pianissimo User

Mar 9, 2004
    Just wondering if anyone out there has any experience with both of these moutpieces. I am very interested in getting a GR mouthpiece and currently play a 7c Megatone. Unfortunately navigating through the GR site requires a GPS device. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    From their website and from the looks of the mouthpiece the FatBoy blank seems to be very similar in style to the Megatone

Snippet from the website:
    If you have had success with heavier blanks in the past, then a GR Fatboy Blank may be for you.  This blank offers all of the benefits of the GR Classic and Studio Blanks with a very solid core of sound.  Some players may find slower flexibilities and a "dead" feel on the chops, however, those who have enjoyed heavier blanks in the past really dig the Fatboy!

I have a great article written by a player in U.S. Army Band, Pershing's Own about more mass mouthpieces. (see: http://www.ibowtie.com/mpcmass.html ). I am not sure about "dead" or "slower flexibilities." I think a more mass mouthpiece projects more -- probably better for ensemble playing than solo or lead work. But many different mouthpieces are made because players differ and have different needs.

I think if you liked the Megatone and wish to try a GR, why not try a FatBoy? It seems to make sense to me.

Jim