Can anyone name this traditional tropical sounding trumpet song?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by viking, Jan 29, 2007.

1. viking

viking New Friend

Jan 29, 2007
    Hi guys was hoping some of you trumpet experts could recognise this tune out of a dance song, I dont like the dance song and want the original trumpet song, it may be tropical or mariachi. This song is magic carpet ride by mighty dub katz. Click here to listen, you have to go to 00:24 to hear the part im talking about

http://www.amazon.com/gp/music/wma-...03/ref=mu_sam_wma_001_003/002-5433150-5036846

Thanks in advance

2. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    I don't blame you for not liking it, it's crap. It may just be the most annoying thing I've heard in a long time. There's not enough of the song for me to know what it is but then, I'm a classical player and not the best source. "Magic Carpet Ride" is a Disney tune from Alladin, the movie with Robin Williams as a genie. They may have just given it a "treatment" to make it sound as it does, trumpets in harmony.

Anyone else? Good grief, that was annoying....

ML

3. viking

viking New Friend

Jan 29, 2007
  4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Oh Lord,
    Have mercy! This is the most boring tune I have ever heard! I could not stand it till the end :thumbdown:

5. viking

viking New Friend

Jan 29, 2007
    Thats obvious my good man but do you know what the trumpet tune could be?

6. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    Here's the problem, viking: nobody's willing to endure the arrangement to figure it out!

Like I said, if it's called Magic Carpet Ride, it's probably an arrangement of the Disney tune and not something that was originally for trumpet.

ML

7. Clarence

Clarence Mezzo Forte User

Jun 23, 2005
    san diego
    Thanks.....now i got that tune inside my head!

8. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    Okay...this was a few minutes I'm not gonna get back...ha...;-)

Anyway...not that this is much help... but it is definately latin in origin. Not tropical...or perhaps "island" as you suggested. It really sounds like an "intro" to a piece rather than the melody or verse.

Mostly, groups like this lift bits from existing tunes...but this may even be a canned lick off a sound effects type library. Either that or it may be off some obscure, b-side latin recording. Who knows. Google searching turned up nothing..as I'm sure you already discovered. Still...it sounds like either an intro or background parts to a tune that was lifted...instead of a true melody of a tune. Know what I mean?

Go find some Herb Alpert recordings to get your fix on something that's along the same lines. Not tricky.... melodic grooves...

9. viking

viking New Friend

Jan 29, 2007
    Thanks for the help so far guys yes ive been on google searching away and ive downloaded a lot of ska music which some on another forum suggested it may be also downloaded other versions of magic carpet ride by other singers but nothing.

Everyone I play it for says theyve heard that before I think its a very well known piece but dont know by who. At first I thought it could be mariachi, that I had heard it in cartoons or in a restaurant but no luck. Then went through best of brasilian and island music but nothing.

You guys all recognise it right? Or is it something known only to people in my area of Spain?

As I say im sure its a very well known tune but what is it called

10. wilcox96

wilcox96 Mezzo Piano User

Oct 31, 2005
    charlotte nc
    I don't recognize it at all. Therefore, it still sounds like background parts to another tune. Not the main melody... Heck...I may be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time...ha.

It's the techno/ska type beat that is throwing you off though.. I bet it's from a "standard" old tune - from Spain, like you said.

I still say go check out Herb...