Can anyone play high?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Dec 30, 2010.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Simple question. Disregarding lazy people, what I really mean is can anyone, through putting in proper work and effort play high? Why?

2. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan

Define 'high'.

3. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Louis Arnstromg was asked by Edward R. Murrow, what was the definition of a "cool cat". Louis responded by saying "that is someone who is too lazy to play the high notes." Interesting.

BrotherBACH

4. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    If you're talking about 2nd ledger line C, then yeah, I'd like to believe anyone with hard work can get there.

If you're talking about G over high C and double high C, then I'd like to think that it's possible for anyone with correct teaching/practice/work...

If you're talking about higher than double high C, I'd like to think that the range up there is really just... idk. Given ROFL

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Oh, if that was all there was to playing music with a trumpet. High playing is not the end all for players. We all need to learn how to play musically and with control. I hope you are not one who thinks high is the answer.

6. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

I think he's wondering if it is even possible for everyone
    Whether some people have the natural talent to play up there and others can't.
    The "normal" range of the trumpet (low F# to 2 ledger line C) is definitely attainable by anyone, but going beyond that?

7. SteveRADavey

SteveRADavey Pianissimo User

May 25, 2010
    Austin, TX
    I mean, yeah anyone can play high. But that usually makes you more lazy.

(thanks folks, I'll be here all night - tip your wait-staff)

8. Conntribution

Conntribution Fortissimo User

Dec 25, 2010
    Lloyd Harbor NY.
    I tried to play high once but the pot relaxed my muscles too much.

9. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm going to take a stab at answering your question even though my range isn't much yet (10 mos.).

Yes. Anyone can play high. It's a matter of getting the technique right and working all the proper muscles, both large and small, and staying with it. Even at 10 months of trumpet playing, I've hit double C's and higher .... totally randomly and only in a few given moments ... but they're in there. Anyone can hit them. Controlling them and making them sound full and musical, that's another story.

Turtle

10. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    From the info I have gathered over the years, the trumpet is a 7 octave instrument, C1-C7. The "easiest" notes to play are F#2 - C5 and that is where the overwhelming majority of trumpet music is written. Developing range takes an incredible amount of practice, diligence, discipline. If you have those 3 basic qualities in your routine, then the answer to your question is yes (barring physical abnormalities). :play: