Can anyone play high?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Dec 30, 2010.

1. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    rowuk sez:
    I firmly believe that we are not created with equal talents and that many will never get it. That does not mean that they can't have fun with the trumpet, it means that the fun will be limited to the audiences tolerance for what was just offered.
    ----
    Let me suggest that some never hit DHC and are some of the greatest trumpet players in history. DHC is not a prerequisite for making music. Never was, never will.
    Miles Davis never played in the stratosphere and when he tried, it sucked.
    Chris Botti doesn't play there. No need.
    Alison Balsom doesn't go there (unless its a piccolo)
    Harry James wasn't known for high notes.
    Carl Saunders doesn't go there.
    I don't remember of even Louis playing notes like that.
    The last time I checked, music = communicating emotion
    High notes for the sake of high notes is the same as angry little tea pots screaming at me. However, if the upper register is played in a musical way, I'm down with it all the way.

2. Darten

Darten Mezzo Piano User

Dec 21, 2009
    New York City
    Talent is important but so is technique... apparently, my years in junior high, high school and college where I played, no one bothered to straigthen me out, I could barely get to high C, it was a thin weak note. But recently I hired a private instructor, he ripped apart my embrouchure, and a month later my high C has strength and I can reach up to G above high C in that same thin fashion. So whatever my talent was and or is.... I didn't hit it yet. but will I hit that Maynard ceiling, nope.

3. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Great way to clarify what I tried to say earlier. Thanks.

4. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  5. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Play to the audience!!!! last year I did a gig at church, did pedal tones, and chromatics up to E above High C -- BUT the biggest remarks were about the PEDALS -- go figure.

So this years fundraiser - I need to put in PEDALS somehow in a song, and hopefully crank out something like a DHC if the lips/ breathing hold up.

BUT I'm betting they comment on PEDAL Tones ----cause nobody has ever heard them for some reason --go figure.

6. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    kingtrumpet sez:
    increasing range is pretty much long tones up the scale and down, holding them as long as I can --- example ---holding an F on top of the scale for minutes -- take a breath -- feel the burn -- type of thing --- play songs up an octave, hold the notes 5-10 times longer than you should when you play -- that type of thing. and --- wow -- after 25 months of this -- I am still not a pro --- still not able to do "Gonna Fly Now" -- the rocky theme in 3 octaves -- at least not clearly, loudly or as musical in the upper range.
    ----
    Do what musicians have done since just about the dawn of jazz. Get the recordings and learn to play along.

7. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    Yes, but my point to most of the comebackers and young people reading this forum -- is that I am convinced that you can play BETTER, and at a range (higher or lower) ""than you ever thought you could"", but it takes time and practice, and more practice --- it just doesn't happen overnight.

8. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I think that is the problem with us trumpet players --- the DHC is some kind of mysterious goal. Whereby we strive to "hit" it thinking that we are then trumpet players. ((and there is so much more to "playing"))
    I don't like the tea pots screaming either -- but then again when you "Play" some songs higher than you are normally used to or "Play" a couple notes that are higher than usual "but" musical ---(be that top of staff, up to high E, or up to DHC whatever your level) --- it is a beautiful thing.

9. hichez

hichez Pianissimo User

Jul 13, 2009
    My band director said the only way you are going to learn how to play high is to play high. The point he was getting across was that you must play demanding music which will force you to get the motivation to get better. I sure we all love the 1st trumpet parts in marching band where it is loud and high the whole time but you magically find yourself playing it with relative ease by the end of the marching season. It gave you a practically reason to play high.

10. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    kingtrumpet sez:
    I don't like the tea pots screaming either -- but then again when you "Play" some songs higher than you are normally used to or "Play" a couple notes that are higher than usual "but" musical ---(be that top of staff, up to high E, or up to DHC whatever your level) --- it is a beautiful thing.
    -----
    Yes I totally agree. Every now and then I'll take up the last note and bite it off or the music will have a passage that requires 8va.
    However, I'm talking about those individuals who must scream like a aerosol boat horn on every song. It's almost like they've learned how to play a high pitch and by god they're gonna use it at every possible opportunity.