Can anyone play high?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Dec 30, 2010.

1. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm going to tell you flat out, I don't believe you. If after all these years a G on the staff is all you can muster, you MUST find another teacher. What method(s) does he prescribe for you in general? If you've been trying all these shenanagans and still coming up dry, it tells me that you're not on any program, just the "let's give this a shot" program, and it's no wonder you're struggling. You must sit on a program and stay with it, otherwise you're doomed to your present limits. As a former teacher and a now current working semi-pro, surrounded by students and pros, I can tell you that what you say is ridiculous.

For example, I've never met a Gordon student who couldn't get to a high E or so after getting through six months of it. The book is right there in most every music store, most any trpt teacher knows it, and all know about it. Buy it and use it. Do exactly as it says. Don't mess around. Say, after a few weeks you don't like it. Tough. Stop the serpentine and stand there.

Can you, at the least, roll your chops in and blow out making the sound of a balloon leaking air at high frequency? Then your chops a capable of making the proper vibrations. Sorry to be harsh-- I rarely am-- but you remind of students I had back in the day claiming that they were doing everything under the sun and clearly were not. Proof is in the pudding. You seem a smart bloke with a goal in mind. Let's see you demonstrate that in the new year.

ed

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    I agree ---I'm on the 25th month of a comeback after a 7 yr hiatus-- those Double C's (like turtles which weren't consistent 12 months ago are now possible everyday) --- and a reasonable sound quality from the high C to the high G is ok - now -- and there is an E over DHC that is -- well "available" -- meaning I can "HIT" it, but it is not "musical". -- there are also the pedal notes below the low F# that an easy tune can be played there

The whole point is --- I'm doing about 3 hrs. of intense focused, intelligent practice almost every night --- and a lot of that is on "musicality" -- and Yes! trying to expand range with some of that musicality.

I'm an average trumpet player -- that with loads of practice over 2 years have achieved -- More than I ever thought I could -- so the answer to me is --Absolutely YES -- a DHC is in range of almost every trumpet player ----- well, if they do the time!!!

(((edmann comments are along these same lines -- do the practice, do the work, and you will actually see/hear results)))

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  3. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    lets' see - for me --
    proper work -- (means everything, tonguing, slurs, long tones, musical etudes, octave slurs, etc.)

Proper Effort -- you work till you feel a bit of burn in your face, lips, and jaws -- building muscles, you got's to break them down to build them up.

Effort --- about 3 hrs a night

High -- at least to DHC (and above) and try to make that musical

increasing range is pretty much long tones up the scale and down, holding them as long as I can --- example ---holding an F on top of the scale for minutes -- take a breath -- feel the burn -- type of thing --- play songs up an octave, hold the notes 5-10 times longer than you should when you play -- that type of thing.

and --- wow -- after 25 months of this -- I am still not a pro --- still not able to do "Gonna Fly Now" -- the rocky theme in 3 octaves -- at least not clearly, loudly or as musical in the upper range ---- maybe next year!!!!

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    IMHO ... I just don't believe this.

I think we're creating false expectations by implying you just have to practice a certain way and the high notes will come. Not everyone will be able to do this, no matter how hard they try or what method they follow.

The OP should keep trying, of course. But his ultimate goal should be to make music, and not just to hit high notes.

I'm a comeback player. And among other things, I'm also working on my range. I switched teachers last year to someone with a good grasp on playing lead trumpet. But my goal is not to play "high notes" or lead trumpet, although that would be great. My more realistic goal is to create a practical range and to sharpen my skills, so I can make music.

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    For 20 years since taking up trumpet my playable range was to G on top of the stave, this was fine for what I was playing, church and community concert band. Since my retirement 5 years ago I have worked on all aspects of my playing including range, the methods that have helped the most are Carmine Caruso's Calesthenics for Brass and Bob Odneals Casual Double high C.

I have had several teachers and none of them knew how to play in the upper register.

Approaching 73 my playing range is high C-D and the G and A are starting to come. If I miss a day of practice it usually takes 3 or 4 to get back to where I was.

Regards, Stuart.

6. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I honestly try to look at things from that perspective, but now I feel that this is the biggest inhibitor of me making music now. It's been perfectly fine viewing it that way untill now, where I physically can't play parts of music that is handed to me to play because it goes too high for me or is there too long or too loud or for whatever reason. Honestly up untill a couple or few years ago, I didn't care about range at all. I could play all the music fine, so I honestly didn't even care or see why I should want to go higher, but when you physically cannot play the music, that's when it now bothers me. Aside from the fact that a career these days just wouldn't be possible with my current range I now have to realize, when all other parts of my playing are headed on the right track :/

*And don't think I'm ignoring all the other posts. I still appreciate reading what you have to say.

*Edit- Yeah, sorry TrumpetMD. I have a tendency to be overly-defensive... alot really. You're fine ;)

It's a shame I brought this thread back into my problems though. Would've been a good one. Sorry about that.

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks for the response john7401. I didn't mean to imply that you were thinking only of high notes.

I think the suggestions people made have been good. I was just reacting to the assertion that that high notes are attainable by everyone.

8. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    They are inevitable if you're playing correctly. Not to say that double C is everyone's goal, piece of cake or piece de resistance, but it's true nonetheless, and it's not exclusive to the Gordon method.

I've hung with mostly lead players during my comeback and they seem to have a handle on correct playing techniques than most jazzers I meet, or lower section players. Great legit players are in that same category, but for some reason I don't see them in the basement bars and restaurant haunts I frequent :-)

Just reacting more to the posture he's taking rather than solving a problem, but the posture, imo, is getting in his way, not the use of this or that method. There is a way to play, perhaps more than five, but each are consistent and require patient, careful, dedicated practice.

Happy new year, all. Time to see what Kathy and Anderson are up to!

Ed

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    EdMann, I'm assuming that you're talking about the "Systematic Approach" Gordon book.
    I'm not familiar with it. Is that something that is suitable for someone with a usable range as described by the OP and how much daily time does it require in addition to whatever else he's doing?

10. butterlil

butterlil New Friend

Sep 27, 2010
    I am 14 and I'd say i gain a tone and a half in range per year