Can anyone play high?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by john7401, Dec 30, 2010.

1. oldgit

oldgit Pianissimo User

Jun 16, 2010
    Basingstoke, England
    Is the quest for high notes really that important if your not going to work professionally.

Making golf clubs i came across loads of 18+ handicap players who could drive the ball much further than me, but had lost site of the object of the game, get the ball in the hole in the least number of shots. No one wins by hitting it the furthest unless thats the aim of the competition. Long drive.

Do they have that in trumpet high note shoot outs highest note wins?

2. craigph

craigph Piano User

Mar 12, 2010
    Japan
    Visual aids, pencils, PETE, jogging ... how much do you actually play the horn a day. I am not a trumpet teacher and am not competent to give you advice (let alone over the internet) but I feel for myself just putting in the hours playing the horn with good tone within my usable range leads to incremental progress in all areas. Slow and steady wins the race.

Someone brought up Claude Gordon previously. He said "Do not fret about the lip and face muscles. They will develop properly if left alone" and claimed that the lips are the medium, but high tone or low tone is a function of wind power.

Yes, playing up to high C is certainly something anyone can do. Moreover that entire range should be without extra effort. (Something Gordon and others say.) When I am playing properly high C doesn't require any more effort than the G below it (or C below), but when I am tired or lose form I use pressure and the note fizzles out. I believe with practice anyone gets the knack for good high note or low note production.

3. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Why not? It's just another technique to learn. I don't play for a lively hood any more, but I do perform regularly . The band I play lead in has a lead book that has A's,Bb's,B's and even occasional double C's, the second book is written up to high F's.
    If you're someone who only plays in a small church or community group and is happy with an A or C above the staff,there's nothing wrong with that. Range is just something else to learn. I learned triple tonguing and haven't used it 35 yrs. ,but it is nice to be able to do.

4. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Al sez:
    Range is just something else to learn.
    --
    Yep. Along with your regular "well balanced" routine, you now have to blend in range development. Welcome to the demanding world of trumpet development.
    Oh, and don't forget:
    Exercises are exercises. They are designed to make you stronger and more flexible.
    Music is music. Its designed to communicate and express feelings.
    The audience might not remember every note you played but they will remember how you made them feel.
    Good Luck

5. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    Good perspective. I would only add that not everybody's goal in golf is to get the ball in the hole in the least number of shots (though most, I'll grant you that). For some of us (lousy) golfers, we have a different approach. The MORE shots you get, the better value you get for your greens fees (more shots per $) and the more fun it is.:woop: I know this is a radical approach but seems to help with this game, which is overly psychiatric IMO. You can't use your reaction time, your reflexes or anything. The ball is just sitting there. There's no excuse not to make a decent shot.

Sorry to digress .... back to the high notes!:play:

Turtle

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Dang, you're gonna be something when you're 79!!!!!

7. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Nope. On the one hand, I was specifically responding to your claim that every Gordon student should be able to play an E over high C after six months on the program. That sort of cut-and-dried claim is unmitigated bunk.

On the other hand, I was waxing philosophical while unwinding after a New Year's gig. Under favorable circumstances, the vast majority of trumpet players can probably develop a musical high C. But not every player is going to discover their favorable circumstances.

To the OP: I agree with the suggestion to contact Pops McLaughlin.

8. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    Peter Mcneill sez:
    Silly question.... Answer NO.
    Work, effort, and muscular make up, physical defects etc.
    -------------
    Peter wins the prize!!!
    What we assumed was that all people are endowed with the same skill set and physical abilities.
    Wasn't the prize for answering this difficult question a new Porsche?

10. EdMann

EdMann Mezzo Forte User

Sep 20, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Here's my quote:
    "I've never met a Gordon student who couldn't get to a high E or so after getting through six months of it."

Never claimed that all CG students could do that. That's just silly. There are some jobs posted at Fox News for misquoters. Hit 'em up!

ed