Can anyone post a really basic song for begginers?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Hitman0042, Aug 10, 2008.

1. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    It is OK to not look at music and just play a song as you know it. It might take a few tries to figure it out, but it is one way to learn where the notes are. I don't know if Aussie's know Mary Had a Little Lamb, or Row, Row, Row Your Boat, but songs you learned to sing when you were little are good to try. It is very good for your brain to do this. Reading music takes a while to learn, but your ears know what they are hearing now.

The world-famous Suzuki string method begins with learning Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star by ear only. And by very young children too. Because they can play a song they know so quickly, they gain confidence and it becomes fun for them, making them eager to learn more.

Even older kids can benefit from this approach.

2. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    wers the notes for twink twinkle little star?

3. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
  4. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Hitman,
    If you have access to a private teacher, that would really help. A teacher could help your music reading skills, and your trumpet playing skills as well.

5. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    That is what we call in the USA "playing by ear or memory."

That's good mental exercise as you play your trumpet.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Hitman,
    go to church and borrow a hymnbook. There are 500+ easy tunes needing limited range and you knowing that "standard" repertory is the most efficient start that I know of!

I really have to ask the question of how much you pay for trumpet lessons and why you are getting so little out of them. Something is VERY, VERY wrong here!

7. Trumpet Dad

Trumpet Dad Pianissimo User

Jun 20, 2008
    New Jersey, USA
  8. cobragamer

cobragamer Pianissimo User

Jan 26, 2008
    Raleigh,NC
    Hymbook or it really doesnt even have to be a song but we use Stardard for Excellence books to teach how to play.

9. Decentplayer

Decentplayer Mezzo Forte User

Jan 11, 2008
    USA
    What is your school teacher teaching you??? I guess that in high school band, they have limited time to teach you. I started learning in like 5th grade, so, you had longer classes to learn etc. If you can, I would suggest getting a private teacher because it seems to me, you aren't getting taught alot from your school teacher.

10. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    Hitman,

How long have you been playing your trumpet and what exercises are you using?

How much time do you spend with your teacher each week?

It may help others advise you.

You should keep in mind that there are several folks on this forum who are brass teachers, so they are used to teaching students. Apparently, they have concerns about your instruction (teacher) and with your practice time/technique.

Best wishes,

Lloyd