Can anyone transcribe this?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Saile, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    Saile,

Chris is great. He signed my Martin Committee in November 2010 in Richmond, VA. His manager is a bit of a money monger. Chris needs to get rid of his manager......Chris is so much better than that.

2. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    YEr i can't wait to see him perform again. I got some cds and stuff signed as well. Not martin committee though.

However question, you have the Deluxe, whats the difference between the Martin Committee and the Deluxe version? i have seen many deluxe cheaper than the normal ones?

3. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    The Martin Committee Deluxe has nickel trim and more ornate bell engraving I think. I'm pretty sure it sounds the same as the " non-Deluxe ". Personally, I'd pay a couple of hundred more just for the bell engraving on the Deluxe. I did play a large bore Deluxe about 8 months ago. I couldn't tell any difference in the few minutes that I played it. It was an elderly man's from Cary, NC that owned Burt's Music Store ( Harold Burt ). He wasn't aware of the value of the large bore. I told him that I would sell it for him on eBay at no cost. 2 weeks later I see it on eBay with seller being Burtsmusico...or something like that. THEN a month later I see his horn relisted for 5K by the buyer I suppose. I could have had it for $2000 from Mr. Burt when I played it back then. I think he got $2500 on eBay for it. I'll have to check.
    There is a beat up Committee on eBay now for like $611 or something yesterday. I've considered getting it and sending it to Larry Mizzel in MD to have the dents pulled for around $200 to $300. I have 3 or 4 people that want me to find a Committee for them. I sell a LOT of trumpets, but never gouge.

4. stevesf

stevesf Piano User

Jun 23, 2010
    San Francisco Bay Area
    funny the name of the song is "Playing by Heart" ROFL
    sorry couldn't resist...seriously this is not a very hard tune to play by ear...even if you have only been playing 7 months or so.
    Start by figuring out the first note, then the first and second note, then progressively adding notes. Make it a goal to learn small chunks first, like learning the first phrase (4 bars in this case) in one week or less. Don't be afraid to hunt for the notes, learn from your mistakes and play the correct notes next time.

Playing along to recordings is one of the very best methods of training your ears. A good set of ears will open up a whole new world of tunes to play. Sure you could have someone transcribe the music for you but then you are just a slave to the written notes . If you figure it out yourself the tune is in your memory bank forever, ready to be played at any given moment. :play:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    And continue to do you it as your playing improves. Avoid locking yourself to the sheet music.

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    thanks Chuck... I actually had some dead time at work so I bounced between the youtube clip and this scoring software
    http://musescore.org/

It's free and it plays the notes as you click them. I was actually going to give it to Saile on a pdf but I hit a snag trying to get the program to let me put an 1/8 note rest on the downbeat.. software ggggrrr

I am envious of the Committee owners by the way

7. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    I am actually after a committee but can't find any in my country. will have to expand search in USA. Not sure how much they generally go for. Don't want to spend too much because i only play for myself at home.

do you mean a full .pdf of the song lol? that would be great.
    I got that software. Not sure how to use it exactly because i not sure how to write music completely.

I think its best to stick to trial and error on the trumpet.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Committees go for alot ... and some even more than alot
    Trial and error on the trumpet is a good plan. Try singing short phrases ... then try to play what you sing .... if you get stuck on a notes just sing one note until you find it.
    You probably could find a teacher who can work with you on this stuff. There are some tricks you can do to learn intervals ... the first two notes for "Here comes the Bride" are a fourth ... Maria from Westside story .. a tri-tone ..
    find simple songs to learn intervals ... it will help.

9. Saile

Saile Piano User

Nov 11, 2010
    well im gonna give it a go now. while im listening to it.