Can anyone transcribe?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SophiaPetrillosBuddy, Oct 9, 2015.

1. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii

Transpose, to the correct key........

2. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Yeah, I knew the meaning of "transpose" (I started out as a French Horn player) and I figured eventually everyone would figure it out.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF8scBG0iJs

And if anyone wants to suggest a challenging version of "I Can't Get Started"....
    This version or Maynard's, although it wouldn't be difficult to best either singer.

Peter McNeill likes this.
  3. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    An aside - funny inside story from two of LA's best first call players, Manny Klein and Ray Triscari. Time-Life put out a pretty famous and excellent edition of music from the various big bands back in, I think, the 50s and they were on the sessions. The guy who played Bunny's solo on Can't Get Started was having problems with the first few notes. So, without telling the music director, they found a quick fix. One of the other guys in the section played the first three notes and then the soloist continued on with the rest of the notes LOL.

4. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    "Can anyone transcribe?"

Yes.

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I know, and I have tried, but at my age it is a very, very slow process. If I rely on my ear, I usually get the first few bars copied and then I go off I my own direction.... I am just lousy at it.

There is a great resource here that I use to help me with Transcribing solos, especially if I have a short time to reproduce it for a gig. I think that is one of the good things about TM, you get supplied with answers and resources,

Sometimes you just need the basic music sheet to allow you to prepare a solo. (Hence the link I supplied). Sometimes you need an expert to help do the transcription, and I am happy to pay for that time. An hours pay for something that would take me a day or two, and cause me untold anxiety and stress.... well it is nice to know where the resource is. There are people who help, and will usually PM you, to keep all the "You should do it yourself" banter. Sometimes I just don't have the time, nor the ability - I know my limitations.

Anyway, it is great to see the OP get the support.

6. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
  7. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Chuck - Is that you Singing?

Very smoothe - Now that's the Best I have heard of any of our Members.
    Nice lyrics - and nice solo - really liked it.

8. Solar Bell

Solar Bell Moderator Staff Member

May 11, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    I did not sing it.

The recording company and mixing were so amature.

Recorded my horn about three inches from the mic....it sounds so metallic.

Bunny stood twenty feet from the mic, he wanted the horn to ring out. I wanted to be away from the mic, but the "pros" knew better. Clowns!

9. SophiaPetrillosBuddy

SophiaPetrillosBuddy New Friend

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    Wow, you're really great! Alas, I still have many years of practice to play like that. I'm a very inexperienced freshman in college, and I still need to audition for band. Maybe I can get this solo down and play it for my audition piece.

10. SophiaPetrillosBuddy

SophiaPetrillosBuddy New Friend

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    People are throwing these terms around willy nilly, I just assumed they were synonymous. Now that I know better, I will use the correct terminology :-)