Can doing situps help your breathing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Nov 11, 2009.

1. trmpt_plyr

trmpt_plyr Pianissimo User

Jun 12, 2009
    US
    I was told to use my abdomen muscles when I play the higher notes, and that the muscles should become tight when playing them. This has helped a lot, and it's easier for me to play a lot of stuff now.

I was thinking that if you had really strong abdomen muscles, would it help you breath faster and more efficiently?

2. 1stTrumpet

1stTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 5, 2009
    Sure, why not

3. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

I don't know exactly what the long-term effects are, but I know from experience that doing crunches/sit-ups before something demanding in the high range does help with efficient use of air. I would assume the long-term effects would be similar. Besides, I'm pretty sure that having strong abs can't really hurt your trumpet playing.

4. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003

NO!

5. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  6. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Diz is right!

7. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    No, because it involves air too.

8. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I don't think it's possible for you to make a one to one correlation between the building of stomach muscles and an increase in breath speed and efficiency.

As a general rule I personally try to keep myself in good physical shape (regular exercise and weight lifting) which I think contributes to my overall stamina while playing (particular long gigs or many gigs in a couple of days) but I don't think it's at all necessary to be a good trumpet player.

I've met and played next to some people who were absolute MONSTERS on the trumpet, but in miserable physical shape. At the end of the day technique seems to trump all other things...but staying healthy should help you to keep demonstrating that technique well into your later years!

9. Markie

Markie Forte User

Jan 4, 2009
    Clarksburg, WV
    no

10. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    Maynard had one lung and his physique was not so great. but even in his last years, he still screamed... what a man.