Can doing situps help your breathing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Nov 11, 2009.

1. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    I say just go for it anyway and see for yourself. You can be a little more fit and have nice stomach muscles even if it doesnt help range :-)

*I like how you worded it TrumpetMD. That comment helps me too :-)*

Lets say I was going to run an hour though, is there a breathing technique to work on while doing this to maximize the effect of the excercise on the lungs? I'm sure there is a more effective way to train this part of your body than just going out there and doing arobic stuff.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree with dizforprez and others. I don't think stronger abdominals will help all that much (although I suppose it wouldn't hurt).

What you instead want to do is increase your "lung capacity" through aerobic exercise. What this does is strengthen the accessory muscles used in breathing, and increase the efficiency of moving air in and out of your lungs.

3. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    Stronger abdominals help me create compression. They don't help my capacity per se.

4. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Bruce Lee says the power comes from the core, not the arms. Anyway, I find that when I'm playing high notes my abs tighten up, so logically I think it should help.

5. Mambo King

Mambo King Pianissimo User

Aug 20, 2009
    London
    Check out articles on "wedge breath" and also looking up in a different place the concept of the yoga breath (hatha yoga). I think efficient breathing is more what you should look for rather than a "jock" solution !

MH

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    NO!

Anything that improves your health and muscle tone is good. Pushing with your abs is only great on the toilet.
    When using a trumpet, tension is normally in the way of a big relaxed sound - and will definitely hinder your range and sound quality.

7. dhbailey

dhbailey Piano User

Jul 28, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Since we never know from one person to another what combination of muscle and brain power will help or hinder, there's no way that any of us can truly say yes or no to whether doing crunches will help the original poster or not. If working on the crunches has him thinking about breathing in a new way and that new way of thinking about breathing creates the ideal air flow for him to get better tone and range, then doing the crunches helped. If working on the crunches does nothing to get him thinking about breathing differently for an improved air-flow, then they didn't help.

But it is important to note that a lot of fatter people can play trumpet wonderfully with the most flabby abs in the world, while some people with the sort of physique that gets stares of admiration from the women at the beach can't play with a decent tone no matter how hard they try.

So keep in mind that it's not the muscles themselves which help or hinder us, but how we use the entire package called our body, which is important. And anything which helps us use that body to play the trumpet better is a good thing.

8. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Your abdominal muscle are already able to contract with a pressure of 300-400 cm without any "training", the pressure for speaking is around 6-15 cm, trumpet playing goes as high as 100 in the most extreme loud or high passages.

Any normal person already has 3 to 4 times the ab strength needed for the most demanding passages!

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  9. Haley2011

Haley2011 New Friend

Nov 11, 2009
    have you ever heard of "double high c in thirty seven weeks" ? its a book (that isnt published any longer) that one of my jazz friends recomended for improving my range. Inside of the first few pages the author gives a list of abdomen strengthening excersizes that he says should be done every other day in order to help with range. so yes, doing crunches should definatly help.

10. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009

This doesn't make any sense to me. Isn't this how you get the so called "air speed" or "compression" needed for those higher notes? Yea range should be controlled by air direction and not pressure anywhere, but just from doing some quick experiments sitting while typing this, it is tons easier to get more air going faster using those muscles than just trying to blow it all out on its own.

I'm kind of seeing where your going with this, but for some reason I just can't comprehend it or get my body to do it. Can you somehow explain it in more detail as to what happens when you tighten those muscles, why it should be avoided, and what it really takes air wise to play high notes or the trumpet in general?