Can doing situps help your breathing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trmpt_plyr, Nov 11, 2009.

1. dizforprez

dizforprez Forte User

Nov 2, 2003
    Anyone that wants to understand this should read “teaching brass” Kristian Steenstrup, there are other published studies, but that book seems to have the most relevant info to this discussion.

The idea of ab exercises is a hold over from the dark ages of brass teaching…..

2. fraserhutch

fraserhutch Mezzo Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Novato, CA, USA
    IMHO, the issue is NOT brute strength. The issue is developing your core to the point where you can maintain your core "grip" continually so that it doesn't have to jerk into place when you really need it. That I want is for what I need to be EASY and relaxed, and just like range, you're most efficient below the edge of what you can do.

Try doing 100 crunches all the while never letting go with the squeeze and you'll get what I mean.

For me, when I get above f above high C, it's all about the compression I generate from my core. The area from the bottom of my breast downward compresses, but everything above needs to remain relaxed. This is what I took a long time in learning. This way, my playing is relaxed, but I have the compression that I need to play in the upper register.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2009
  3. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Ok this I agree with and understand. I guess I was under the impression that he ment not tightening the "stomach" or what you call the core at all for the high notes. I keep everything else relaxed, but I do tighten the stomach area going higher. Maybe not specifically the stomach but I think its the core your talking about.

4. ltg_trumpet

ltg_trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Jan 21, 2009
    I watch a Vizutti, and i see how relaxed his face is. its a calm look, one that hes formed over the years. I try to stay relaxed when i play, and as some one said previously, play the music, dont sweat whether its high or mid, just play, and make music.

5. TrumpetLucian

TrumpetLucian Pianissimo User

May 7, 2009
    Indiana
    There are lots of views on this subject, and I think my views are a mix of many different views.

First, being fit is a great thing for your health and for your trumpet playing. From my drum corps experience and beyond, being in great physical condition is great. Do some weight lifting and sit ups (or anything upper body).

That being said, I don't subscribe to the brute force methods. Why work harder??!!!! Firstly, make sure your equipment is comfortable for you. Next, learn the wedge breath. I learned this from Roger Ingram, and not only does it make your playing more efficient, but it makes it SO much easier.

Be in great shape, and play efficiently and you'll be in great shape!

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ever heard the adage that a little bit of knowledge is dangerous? It applies to trumpet for sure.

"Normal" playing without any special attention should be up to a clean relaxed high C. This can be maintained with about 30 min of practice per day. Most of my beginners are at this point in 1-2 years. G above high C is also no big problem. It just needs a decent routine and at least an hour a day. Most of my students (even the high school students) after 4-5 years achieve this.

We do this with normal Arbans, Clarke, Irons, Schlossberg. No special range exercizes, no exaggerated body tension. The key is the synergy between your BRAIN, your body, your face, your breathing and your tongue. Only a synchronized effort leads to good results. There is no "internet recipe" except trial and error.

My students with the poorest chances for success are those that tried extended DIY or with another teacher bounced around with embouchure and methods. Wiping out stupid habits is as hard as busting MYTHS. Those without any idea keep digging this stuff up! Many more without any idea pile on with so called "success stories" that are most often just lies.

7. Hycee

Hycee New Friend

Mar 9, 2009
    Phila
    According to JeromeCallet, most of us use too much air. Without going into his philosophy of tounge controlled embrochure (or Super Chops), try this: Force all the air out of your lungs and then try to play. I think you will be surprised. I watched Jerry's DVD and took 2 lessons from him and I feel I play and sound better than I ever have.

8. Tpetjunkie

Tpetjunkie New Friend

Nov 11, 2009
    Daytona Beach
    Weird advice. I guess this could work you are spposed to flex you stomach when you play sometimes. the advice I would have suggested is to get peice of small but wide pvc pipe(enough to fit through your teeth) and breathe in and out for as long as you can, Breathe really deep until you can't anymore and hold it for as long as you can. be careful use common sense when doing this technique. It will increase tremendiously after only a few hours! If you get light haeded it is working and your doing it right, but if you get too light headed take a break and come back to it in a bit. Good Luck!

9. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Running might work out better. Louis Armstrong sure had some lard on his belly as do many fine musicians. Sit ups won't get weight down and blubber does not reveal the strength of the muscles underneath. But runners do develop serious lung power.

10. john7401

john7401 Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    There is pretty much no way for me to get a good teacher at this time to work on all the problems I have. My problem is I am too inexpirienced to realize all of my problems and am constantly searching for them and ways to fix them. Obviosly I have enough problems to were now at 5 years that I'm still stuck with only notes around G above the staff, no tongue usage in my embochure, and too much stress over all the problems I do have.

This is why I was thinking about (and still am now) an embochure change/remake so that I can learn everything right and actually be advancing instead of being stuck in the hole that I'm in now...

Last edited: Nov 13, 2009