can finally play marching band music all day :D

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by daniel117, Oct 24, 2012.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Sets for Marching ??? Explain to me ... or are you referring to choreographed moves for the half-time show? Unless you are dead, you learn from everyone, musician or not.

Names and education don't impress me, actions do! Whenever I look at the listing of those that were awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor, I've yet to see one that had earned a Doctorate in other than Medicine when it was awarded. Too, when I've looked at the listing on War Memorials or walked about in a military cemetery I think of no correlation to the education or vocational attainment of the deceased.

Don't get me wrong, I know who Thomas Hooten is and he is really a fine trumpet player and he may be a great teacher, the latter I can't personally say as he has not taught me. Too, he ought to be able to play Sousa marches as good as I can, if not better.

A march for a musician is a genre of music to which one can move in certain proscribed steps at a cadence / tempo, as otherwise it is just choreographed sequential moves / a dance perhaps.

Do not misunderstand me, I know Thomas Hooten is a fine trumpet player, but I cannot critique him as a teacher because he hasn't taught me. However, I do expect him to be able to play Sousa marches as good as me, if not better on the trumpet part but I don't know if he could play the C piccolo part on a Bb piccolo trumpet, or the French horn part on a Mellophone, and the bass parts of The Stars and Stripes, Forever! which I can and have, and have been longer than he has been alive.

2. jessman

jessman Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Marching Music is fun to play, but there has to more than that ....

3. jessman

jessman Pianissimo User

Jul 3, 2009
    Corpus Christi Texas
    Play something else kid. In fact play everything.

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Ah ha, I see a huge misunderstanding. We are referring to marching band NOT marching music. But yes, the choreography and places we have to go for a marching show.

And I think you really are missing my point in all of this. These summer camps, not marching band camp, have a lot to offer the people that go. Not only do you have the opportunity to learn from fantastic teachers/players but you have to ability to grow alongside other musicians who are there to develop as a player. The experience offered there, not only from the teacher but from the other students is invaluable. I’m not down playing the necessity of working at home but stressing that to truly develop as a musician, it is imperative that you work with others in a group.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    OK, I'll just leave it as a probable misnomer to discribe a band as a "marching band" if they indeed are not marching to march music. Perhaps, may I suggest we refer to such a band as a "field Band". The high school and college band I played with certainly did both., and with the strings, oboe, bassoon and piano added the same players from the "field band" were also in our concert band in high school, but not necessarily so in my college concert band, although for a time I was in both until time priorities overwhelmed me.

Absolutely "imperative" that we learn to play with others, which is my rationale to simultaneously tutor 4 from their beginning, and I can't ignore there develops a competition not unlike any activity between others. Not as frequently as I would prefer, I still like to "jam" or sit in with other players and hope they feel the same towards me. No, life just doesn't exist solo, we all seek accompaniment! Well, maybe some keyboarders don't, but I don't know who they are.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012